I need some help understanding how to hook up twin PCI-E plugs to my GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

Ok, I recently purchased a few GTX 460's. They have the twin PCI-E plug receptacles. My PSU has a number of PCI-E plugs.

Here is the part I do not understand:

The diagram that came with the GTX 460 card shows that one of the plugs should not have 6 wires, but only 5 wires [the top center wire is supposed to be not there.

Please see my attachments for a closer look.

Is there a different way to power up the GTX 460? *The diagram on the instructions were a bit strange. *It appeared as if on of the plugs should be a little different than the other!

This sure is looking more and more confusing. The diagram shows two very different male PCI-E plugs:

One plug is an 8 prong plug [what is that]?
The other plug is a 6 prong plug with the top center wire missing [what is that]?
The card obviously only receives two 6-pin male plugs

Ok, hoping to find some answers...

Can anyone here explain to me what type of plug that is and why one wire is missing?

Thank you,

SoarView attachment 4606View attachment 4605

Attachments

• GXT 460 diagram 1.JPG
    GXT 460 diagram 1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 312
  • GTX 460 receptacles.JPG
    GTX 460 receptacles.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Diagram 2.JPG
    Diagram 2.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 302
Okay..... You only need 2 6 pins... your psu says it cmes with 2 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin pcio-e cables.

BECAREFUL as you will also have a 4+4 cable that is for the cpu.

Just find 2 6 pin cables and plug them in.

If in doubt take pics of you 6 and8 cables and post them.

K looked on their site... use the red 6+2 pin, the 2 pop off, And 1 6 cable.

Okay..... You only need 2 6 pins... your psu says it cmes with 2 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin pcio-e cables.

BECAREFUL as you will also have a 4+4 cable that is for the cpu.

Just find 2 6 pin cables and plug them in.

If in doubt take pics of you 6 and8 cables and post them.

K looked on their site... use the red 6+2 pin, the 2 pop off, And 1 6 cable.

Patonb,

Thanks for your reply. My concern is that the Galaxy guide is showing that the second 6 pin PCI-E plug is suppose to have one wire removed [if you look at their diagram, you will notice the second PCI-E plug has the top center wire removed.

Is there diagram a mistake or is there a special reason they are showing the second PCI-E plug with top center wire removed? Notice they actually give a warning to NOT install a full 6 wired PCI_E plug.

I find this very strange and I am trying to figure out if they made a mistake or if there is a special reason they want that wire removed.

Thanks,

Soar

Just use 2 6 pin cables and plug them in.
Looks like the diagram is completely wrong, don't even bother looking at it.

Patonb,

Thanks for your reply. My concern is that the Galaxy guide is showing that the second 6 pin PCI-E plug is suppose to have one wire removed [if you look at their diagram, you will notice the second PCI-E plug has the top center wire removed.

Is there diagram a mistake or is there a special reason they are showing the second PCI-E plug with top center wire removed? Notice they actually give a warning to NOT install a full 6 wired PCI_E plug.

I find this very strange and I am trying to figure out if they made a mistake or if there is a special reason they want that wire removed.

Thanks,

Soar

I've never seen a pci-e missing connector...

Just use 2 6 pin cables and plug them in.
Looks like the diagram is completely wrong, don't even bother looking at it.

Ok guys, will do! I was asking because I purchased two of these Galaxy GTX 460's last week. Then I tried to install one of these GPU cards two nights ago and it totally fried my perfectly working Gigabyte motherboard. I suppose it must have been the GTX 460 GPU and not my hooking up both of the 6-pin PCI-E plugs. I thought I totally blew it by hooking up the twin PCI-E plugs.

Between the 3 of you, you have over 7,000 posts. I trust you because it is obvious by my experience I know almost nothing. Also I remember a Galaxy GTS 250 I purchased last year that also had the twin PCI-E sockets and I hooked two of the PSU PCI-E plugs into the card and it worked just fine.

Thanks again for the good advice. I suppose I will RMA the motherboard and the GTX 460 and see what comes out of this. Hopefully more than a broken heart!

Happy New Year to all and to all good night!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom