I need a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfh4x

Banned
I have a socket AM2 cpu. I am getting an ATi card coming tonight. I build computers so please don't say things like "This MB does this new beta thing called o-v-e-r-c-l-o-c-k-i-n-g" :rolleyes:. Looking for something $130 or less, needs nice overclocking options like change multiplier, change CPU and RAM voltages, etc. I was looking at this one, does it look good?

Not really, way too expensive for the features. Crap, if you ask me. Get this board.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Amazing overclocking features, supports AM3 CPUs, so future upgrades are easily possible.

You say you "build computers", but if you have an ATI card in the works, why are you buying an nForce board that supports SLI when you don't need it...? They are always more expensive. The TA790GX 128M supports crossfire, which is the only way you would be going with ATI.

Also, what CPU do you have? Can you even change the multiplier on it?

Not really, way too expensive for the features. Crap, if you ask me. Get this board.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Amazing overclocking features, supports AM3 CPUs, so future upgrades are easily possible.

You say you "build computers", but if you have an ATI card in the works, why are you buying an nForce board that supports SLI when you don't need it...? They are always more expensive. The TA790GX 128M supports crossfire, which is the only way you would be going with ATI.

Also, what CPU do you have? Can you even change the multiplier on it?

It's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ dual-core, but if it doesn't let me change the mltplr speed then I'll adjust the FSB in Ntune... or you could show me a MB that has an FSB option in the bios, that would be nice ;)

...I said it has great overclocking features...how else are you going to overclock a CPU that has a locked multiplier like yours if you don't increase the FSB?

I have the same board with an X3 720, so trust me when I say it has great overclocking features.

And I would never use Windows overclocking utility. Better to use the BIOS.

The Biostar hikaricloud posted will allow you to set the fsb in bios, it wouldn't be much of a board if it didn't

Most CPUs have locked multiplies. Unless you are getting a Black edition cpu or an extreme edition, you wont have an unlocked multi. The haven't done that on most cpus for years now. FSB is the only way to do it. We have a stickied thread on OC basics that you may want to read before you do anything though. Its a bit dated, but the basics are the same.

I just wanted to say the Extreme and Black are the only truly unlocked cpu's but..

my $70 e5200 has a high multi of 12.5, call it what you will but it's almost like dealing with an unlocked multi because of how much more wiggle room you have vs. a 8x multi

but most (90%) of the time you'll be dealing strictly with FSB, unless you've gone i7 then it's the reference clock I believe

Here is the bottom line. Rule #1. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Acting out and calling people names is only going to get YOU into trouble.

If you dont like the advice someone posts, thanks them and politely ask them to move along. Dont act like this is the first time they have ever tried to help someone on this site.

I have cleaned the thread. Now either act civil or further action will be taken.

Here is the bottom line. Rule #1. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Acting out and calling people names is only going to get YOU into trouble.

If you dont like the advice someone posts, thanks them and politely ask them to move along. Dont act like this is the first time they have ever tried to help someone on this site.

I have cleaned the thread. Now either act civil or further action will be taken.

Did you delete 3/4 of the thread? I could swear there were almost 4 pages 10 seconds ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom