I need a new beast PC for gaming+frapsing content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam02

In Runtime
Hello all, It's been a while. So long in fact that back in the day I built a system that was an AMD 3700+ single core 2GB ram beast!

But nowadays It's arthritic and no longer able to keep up.

I need the following items:

> Mobo
> CPU
> RAM
> HDD
> PSU
> OS
> GPU

My main requirements is that it must be capable of playing games to a high detail whilst frapsing + audio recording.

Also video editing.

I'll be playing games at 1920 x 1200 res.

I'm told that a separate hard drive is a must for this.

My budget is flexible but I'd like to spend no more than £700 if possible, I am a fan of bang for buck hardware.

Thanks. I'll be lurking other threads for the next few hours, id like to purchase today from the UK. OCUK? or Ebuyer?

EDIT:

I've been doing some pseudo shopping and came up with this list:

MSI ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB Twin Frozr III £264
Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail £168
Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £138
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £105
G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit £100

I'd stick with something around a 2500k and amd 6950 or nvidia 560ti. If you want to do lots of video rendering a 2600k might suit you better due to it being able to support hyperthreading. For £700 its gonna be a tight budget. Do you need a screen and peripherals?

I have a 22" acer and decent Saitek eclipse and Logitech MX518 that have served me well.

Few questions: would 850 Watts be enough for a PSU?
Is windows 7 64 bit the OS of choice now?
Is 16GB of ram overkill? will 8gb suffice?

Also I can bump up the budget but I like to get bang for buck as mentioned before.

Few questions: would 850 Watts be enough for a PSU?
Is windows 7 64 bit the OS of choice now?
Is 16GB of ram overkill? will 8gb suffice?

Yes. 850w wil suffice, and that's a good PSU. Windows 7 x64 is the current (and most supported) OS by Microsoft. So, yes. And assuming you're not working in multiple languages, or doing extreme networking, Home Premium will suffice. 16gb is definately overkill, unless of course you get it cheaply like I did. $73. One time deal. :thumbsup:

@ adam02, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Looks like a nice setup. I would go for the 2500k or 2600k you may need to oc as it gets older. Also 6970 or gtx 570 or gtx 560 448 core. 16gb wont hurt, but yes it's overkill.

I don't consider 16GIG as overkill. The price on DDR3 has come down substantially making this upgrade very attractive. I purchased a 16gig Gskill Ripjaw kit for $79 on newegg. Previously I had a 8gig "same kit". My RAM usage was anywhere from 4-6gig (heavy usage). After upgrading my usage is 8-10gig. Still with 16gig I have more than enough available. However, the more RAM you have (system compatible) the better.

16 is definatly overkill, If you can find anything that requires or reccomends even 8gb let me know.

As for the PSU and the GPU, I have the PSU right now and the GPU is coming tomoz. The PSU has served me with SLI GTX 275's Superclocked ( Before my Mobo upgrade which made me lose interest in Nvidia's as per their Licencing **** ) and other power consuming ****e.

Why go for Intel Chip? Sure they can go slightly faster overclocked but again its overkill. My current chip is running at stock 3.2 x4 which is more than enough for any game even dreamt of yet and at a much lower price. Besides AMD beat intel to the 1ghz mark and the dual core mark. They will sureley beat them to the next avancement leaving intel to catch up again. I prefer AMD for this. But this is your choice.
at the end of the day AMD / ATI are now one company so what ever anyone says logik dictates that a full AMD Chipset will work in harmony better than any other.

As that being said the last Intel chip I had was a Celeron Single Core 3Ghz so i know little about those.

Things i do know if that 16gb ram is overkill even 8gb is for now. The PSU you have is an excellent one and the GPu from what ive read is an awsome one too which ill find out tomoz or today in that matter.

The chip however.. Im an AMD fanboy because they got there first and intel caught up. I only settle for gold not silver.

The chip however.. Im an AMD fanboy because they got there first and intel caught up. I only settle for gold not silver.

Can you elaborate? That really makes no sense? Being the first isn't the same as having the best or better. 3dfx was the 1st company to manufacturer a 3D gpu for gamers but it isn't the best anymore, it's not even a company anymore. As for cpu's, Intel was the first long before AMD was even a gleam in someones eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom