I need help with RAM

Getting a new board means new everything right?
also its corseair 700 (not sure how old)

They quit making phenom chips a while ago......
You can find a used one at Amazon for $100.
Amazon.com: AMD HDZ940XCGIBOX Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz Cache 8MB AM2+ 125W Processor - Retail: Electronics

As far a a gaming GPU, I'll let someone else chime in on that because I am not a gamer.
You'll have as much into upgrading this old board as you could with a brand new board, memory and cpu

What brand name is that 700w power supply and how old is it?

For that price, OP might as well just get a G3258 + mobo combo from Microcenter (if one is nearby): http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

$100 for a pretty decent chip + board. Then would just need DDR3 RAM (cheaper than DDR2), and a decent GPU (depending on what games OP wants to play).

Getting a new board means new everything right?
also its corseair 700 (not sure how old)

Post the model # of the PSU.

So that means I keep my everything else? all I have to do is replace those big areas and I should be solid?

For that price, OP might as well just get a G3258 + mobo combo from Microcenter (if one is nearby): http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/G3258Bundle.aspx

$100 for a pretty decent chip + board. Then would just need DDR3 RAM (cheaper than DDR2), and a decent GPU (depending on what games OP wants to play).

Post the model # of the PSU.
Ebay usually has DDR2 for real cheap, cheaper than DDR3 these days. 8GB of DDR3 isn't 50 bucks anymore :(

OP what's your budget? That Athlon X2 isn't going to hold up at all, and it would make sense to buy something new rather than sticking with a DDR2 based platform.

For what we recommend we need a budget.

Edit: Just realized, I have that same board sitting on a desk in our room. I've had it for a while now and nothing I can do with it.

Last edited:
Ebay usually has DDR2 for real cheap, cheaper than DDR3 these days. 8GB of DDR3 isn't 50 bucks anymore :(

Still fairly spendy even on eBay - a friend was recently wanting to upgrade RAM in a C2D system he has sitting around as a Plex server, and it was still fairly pricy. I keep forgetting that DDR3 went up in price though.

OP what's your budget? That Athlon X2 isn't going to hold up at all, and it would make sense to buy something new rather than sticking with a DDR2 based platform.

You handle the negotiating part I'll do the search part picker job.
@joe 105.00 bucks for a Phenom II X4 940 ? o0
My FX4100 cost atleast 75.00 bucks + shipped on ebay used or 100.00 still new.
He may as well go am3+ for that kind of deal.

I'll be back later on with the parts busy working.

You handle the negotiating part I'll do the search part picker job.
@joe 105.00 bucks for a Phenom II X4 940 ? o0
My FX4100 cost atleast 75.00 bucks + shipped on ebay used or 100.00 still new.
He may as well go am3+ for that kind of deal.

I'll be back later on with the parts busy working.
And for that kinda money he can get the Pentium G3258 which is what we already said. Either way he will need a new board or pay too much for an old part.

And for that kinda money he can get the Pentium G3258 which is what we already said.

No need to be so touchy given what you said I got what you wanted if not more.

@cgm this is a intel LGA 1155 build also the parts I choose would be suited for gaming.
If you like a better cpu you have room to get a better one if money isn't a issue.
Foxconn H61MD LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT102464BA160B - Newegg.com

Intel Pentium G2140 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80637G2140 - Newegg.com

EVGA 02G-P3-2724-KR GeForce GT 720 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x 8 Video Card - Newegg.com

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-VP-450-...1417628382&sr=1-1&keywords=antec+power+supply

Slap that into a mid micro atx tower and it'll be ready to go within 1 hour after you build it and install windows.

Many peeps believed the phenom chips are still better that the first generation FX chips.

But if you compare AMD's FX 6300 to the G3258, The 6300 comes out on top, unless you spend extra to purchase a cooler to o/c the G3258 chip.
AMD FX-6300 vs Intel Pentium G3258
If you need to o/c the chip just to make up for it's inabilities, then it won't have much future to last long before you need to upgrade it again $$$
Currently Intel is providing an upgrade path but Intel does have a notorious reputation for not doing that so you may not get another upgrade path from Intel in the future

Back
Top Bottom