I need help with RAM

cgm24

Solid State Member
Hey I'm trying to update my RAM from 4GB to 8 or more and was wondering how and where I can find RAM compatible with a HGT 3.0 GIGABYTE mobo. I'm currently using two ddr3 RAM both 2gb a piece but don't know their origin or what brand they are. Please help and thanks!

That's not enough to tell us what and how much memory your motherboard can use. You can post the complete model and version number and I'll look it up for you or just go to the Gigabyte web site and find the specs for your motherboard
Most Gigabyte boards start with a GAxxx-xx type of model number

Around the PCI/PCIe slots... Gigabyte usually places it near the first or second slot, there will be a large FCC logo, then Gigabyte, then below the name Gigabyte you will see something like GA-XXXX-XXX replace the X with a letter or number.

Example:
ace799729367834668356a31e808ed60.png

This board is a Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H

Alternatively you can download cpu-z from cpuid.com run it, then select Mainboard and it will tell us everything we need to know.
c325c9d19eb18be5647e9273223409a8.png

Last edited:
  1. GA-MA770-DS3 is the model and on the site is says
    4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR2 1066 (Note 2)/800/667 MHz memory modules
  4. Support ECC memory (Note 3)
I am tech illiterate and don't know what that means
In regards to RAM that is

How much ram are you wanting to use? That motherboard supports DDR2-800 (1066 if you have the right CPU though) upto 16GB. Basically you can have 4, 4GB sticks of DDR2-800, if you have Windows XP though, you won't be able to use more than 4GB of the RAM.

As for upgrades here are your options pretty much... DDR2 isn't manufactured much anymore, so it's getting difficult to find, and it's rather costly to upgrade a DDR2 based system. You could potentially be better off saving up and building new if you was needing 16GB of RAM.
Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Well as much as I can. I just got this thing and would like to run games and other applications on it so I suppose as much as I can take it. That being said, Im not sure about its CPU (I highly doubt its up to date) is there a way I can check?

The cpu wont be "upto date" it's a rather old system all together if it's using DDR2

The most your board can handle is 4 sticks of 4GB DDR2-800, you are looking at $400 in RAM....

Back
Top Bottom