I need help picking a gaming PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
something to be aware of is that your listing both Canadian and American newegg sites. The prices will vary.

-Also, you probably wont EVER use lightscribe. The disks are expensive.

something to be aware of is that your listing both Canadian and American newegg sites. The prices will vary.

-Also, you probably wont EVER use lightscribe. The disks are expensive.
Good point. I can certainly do without. Also, thanks for pointing out I was looking at newegg.ca; I hadn't noticed.

Edit: I fixed the prices. I think I should probably start a new thread considering the subject matter has changed.

As a PC enthusiast for 15 years, I can tell you that online tech communities are some of the friendliest/most helpful places on the web. It's because we are all passionate about this stuff, and appreciate others who feel the same way.

Even though it seems like I have to fix computers everywhere we go and sometimes I don't want to deal with it, I still do it and somewhat like it.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of resolving an annoying issue.

You should definitely build yourself. I'd never thought opening boxes felt so great :D

The first time I built a rig, it started up the very first time even when I had no prior experience. Beginners luck I guess. Just Google some How-to's and you should be fine.

i actually went to a few stores around here (best buy / fry's computer store) and its laughable how much of a better deal you can get building your own... i almost got into an argument with the sales guy at best(worst) buy, cuz he was full of crap and didnt now what he was talking about... i was just seeing what they had to offer and they had a dell with an i7 cpu... 4 gigs ram... no gpu... and it was like 1100 buck... he was telling me that i couldnt put my own together for cheaper... lol... we go into it for a min... till i realized, he knew nothing about gpu's... or cpu's for that matter... nothing about RAM... he didnt even know the difference between tripple channel and dual channel... and i learned all about it from the guys in this forum in like 2 or 3 days...

point being... building your own is a good choice, cuz you will learn what does what... what the little numbers mean... and all the little things that will help you in the future... and you will be able to laugh at the sale's men at stores that dont know what they are talking about... and i really dont even know what i'm talking about... thats the funny part!

Here is something to start with...

case
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases
(alot of guys on here would most likely say not to buy raidmax, cuz its cheap... but this one had good ratings...and free shipping)

cpu/mobo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 900(PC2 7200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

gpu
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

psu
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

hdd
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

dvd
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

os
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

cpu fan/hs
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

this would be
$928.11 after shipping...
and $55 mail in rebate...
so you are still under $1000 and its pretty cool...

its a dual core... so let these guys help you decide if you wanna upgrade to quad or not...

what are you looking to do with this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom