I need help building a fast computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man! and by the way when I put my two 250 GB in my PC to run RAID0 do i have to do anything special when putting them in?

Also:
1) what exactly is the exhaust fan?
2)when spreading the thermal paste do I have to spread around the CPU so it cover the whole CPU?
3) One of the videos you posted said to Discharge your self. What does that mean?

you have to enable RAID in your BIOS (usually in something to the effect of "Advanced BIOS Features"), then setup the RAID via the controller BIOS and install the accompanying driver for Windows

an exhaust fan is one that blows hot air out of the case (as opposed to an intake, which brings in cold air)

when you apply the paste, just use a pea sized drop in the middle of the CPU and press on the HSF

squeezing_thermal_paste.jpg

^^thats sticking paste on a GPU^^

i didnt actually watch the video... i'd think he meant ground yourself... this removes static electrical charge (which can do some damage to components) from the body..

Ground yourself?

1)In order to run in RAID0 do I have to install Vista to both 250GB Hard Drives?
2)Also do I have to install Vista into my 640 GB Hard Drive?
3) Should install my programs on my 2x 250GB HDD's? Or the 640 GB?

Dont let people tell you to go with AMD or Intel, its a personal choice. Intel are a bit faster but AMD saves you money. Since this is your first build, I would suggest waiting a while before you start overclocking. It can really mess up your stuff if you dont know what your doing completely. Same goes with watercooling.

when you stick the 250GB HDDs into RAID, they will appear to the OS as a single volume... so technically you are installing it to both drives, but it acts as only one... and no you dont have to install an OS on your 640GB drive if you just wanna use it for storage

i would have 3 partitions with your setup... make one partition on the RAID volume of about 20-25GB just for Vista, then use the rest of the RAID volume as another partition for apps, drivers, etc and use the 640GB one for storage... that way if you have to reinstall the OS, you keep all of your drivers and programs intact

EDIT: oh yeah... grounding yourself means making sure there is an unobstructed path by which a static electrical charge may leave your body... professionally they use a metal wristband and clamp thing, but if you just have no shoes on when you work on the rig you'll be fine

i would have 3 partitions with your setup... make one partition on the RAID volume of about 20-25GB just for Vista, then use the rest of the RAID volume as another partition for apps, drivers, etc and use the 640GB one for storage... that way if you have to reinstall the OS, you keep all of your drivers and programs intact

But how do i set a partition to hold certain files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom