I need help building a fast computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion233

Baseband Member
Ok first off, I wanted to start by saying I just joined these forums because I'm very excited in building my very own PC for the first time. I do have a decent amount of Computer knowledge but there is a lot of things I don't know.

I have $1500 that Im going to put into my rig and I want to make sure I get the most bang for the money I'm spending. So please give me some recommendations and tell me what you think on the parts I already chose.

Take a look:
Tower:APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 95$
PowerSupply:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W $105
CPU:AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9950 BE $170
CPU Cooler:ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU $66
MotherBoard:Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX $189
Memory(Ram):Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D $52
Video Card:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB $265
Hard Drive: Two Seagate Barracuda 250GB (RAID-0) $110
Data Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 640 GB $70
Optical Drive:LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner $150
Sound:Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer $91
Network Card:Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps $24

TOTAL: $1387

Ok, so I still have some money left and I'm missing a couple of things too like speakers,monitor,keyboard,and mouse. Is there anything else that that Im missing aswell? Could I do better with the money I have?

PS: I accidentally posted this in the General Computer Forums but since I'm trying to build a gaming rig I'm re posting it here so there is no confusion.

You can do better actually.. if you don't mind using Intel, it'd be a good bit faster and will overclock better..

Drop the Network Card, onboard Gigabit eThernet is good enough and is the same speed..

Maybe get the X-Fi XtremeMusic instead of the gamer since I've heard its better (even for gaming)

Drop the Zalman cooler for the Core Contact Cooler, and the Phenom and its board for a e8500 and a Biostar I45

Instead of buying the Apevia X-Cruiser for $94 with the crappy Apevia PSU, just get the cheap $70 PSU that comes with a rebate, since its cheaper and you don't need their PSU because you have one

wait so what case should I buy instead?

I heard Nvidia was more reliable than ATI should i switch companies? if so wich Nvidia card should I go with?
oh and I cant find X-Fi XtremeMusic on newegg, is there another name for it?

What about a cooling syatem? do i ave to by those stupid liquid cooling systems?

And Im using two seagate 250 gb for gaming and a Western Digital 640 GB for data, Is this possible even though there both different companies?

Also I think its cheaper to get two 9800GT's 512mb than a HD 4870 1gb

If I run the Nvidia's will t equal the radeon card? thanks!

btw thanks for your replies. You know I was browsing these forums before I joined and I was hoping you would respond to mine.

What about a cooling syatem? do i ave to by those stupid liquid cooling systems?

And Im using two seagate 250 gb for gaming and a Western Digital 640 GB for data, Is this possible even though there both different companies?

Also I think its cheaper to get two 9800GT's 512mb than a HD 4870 1gb

If I run the Nvidia's will t equal the radeon card? thanks!

btw thanks for your replies. You know I was browsing these forums before I joined and I was hoping you would respond to mine.

You can still do that...

Don't get liquid cooling on a first build...

Its cheaper andbetter performing but you'll have to live with an SLI Chipset and the heat issues that come with dual cards

Ok so im guissing that the case Im buying comes with fans already.

What would you recommend for speakers and a monitor?

Tower:APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 70$
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 $175
CPU Cooler:Sunbeam "Core Contact Freezer" $40
MotherBoard: Biostar I45 $160
Memory(Ram):4GB G-Skill $50
UPDATED TOTAL: $1312

Well if I were to spend $1500 on a build I think I would allocate the money a little differently.

For example, I would skip the Raid 0 Barracuda drives. Sure things will load a little bit faster but you are spending a lot of money to shave some seconds off a windows boot up.

Also, if you plan on hooking this rig up to your TV and are using it as a Blu-ray player I guess it makes since to get the Blu-ray drive. Otherwise I think you may be wasting money here too. You can save a load of money just getting a Dvdr drive and once Blu-rays become more mainstream you will be able to pick these up cheap for an easy upgrade.

With the money you've saved you could either buy yourself a nice monitor and the rest of those extras you mentioned. Or you may also want to consider putting together an i7 rig.

Anyways that's just my 2 cents.

Ok so im guissing that the case Im buying comes with fans already.

What would you recommend for speakers and a monitor?

Tower:APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 70$
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 $175
CPU Cooler:Sunbeam "Core Contact Freezer" $40
MotherBoard: Biostar I45 $160
Memory(Ram):4GB G-Skill $50
UPDATED TOTAL: $1312

Much better, if you want a good monitor, check out any HDCP capable monitor.. 24'' or 22'' because of the high end GPU you already have..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom