I need another opinion on GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if you don't need to upgrade, why would you?
I say keep the 2x GTX 260s in SLI until they are not powerful enough to satisfy you anymore.

One card will not be as hot as two, will be quieter (especially if an after-market cooler is added), and will use less power.

I have a review of a GPU cooler that is being proofread right now, but once it is published would be well worth checking out for this.

One card will not be as hot as two, will be quieter (especially if an after-market cooler is added), and will use less power.

I have a review of a GPU cooler that is being proofread right now, but once it is published would be well worth checking out for this.
Exactly. As I said before, there's very little gain relative to the hassle of two cards. Especially now that those two cards are less powerful than a single card. I also live in the city often given the crown for having the highest utility rates. I really have to watch what I'm running or my power bill easily hits $300/mo.

I'll have to check out that review once you have it up.

I'd personally go with a 6950, but that's coming from a fanboy of sorts. :D From what I have seen, the 6950 uses a little less power, but I haven't REALLY dug into reviews, that's only from 1 or 3 different reviews.

I used to have 260s in SLI and now I have a 5850. It's just as quick, in fact quicker when I put AA to 8X in BC2...and WAY quieter. The thing about 2 cards is that it's not just the GPU fans you hear, but your PSU fan will ramp up too quite a bit.

So I say go for a 6950.....

Okay. Thanks!

So I'm sold on the 6950, however, I'm not sold on the manufacturers offering it. Only XFX offers lifetime warranty and their 1GB 6950 has crummy reviews. I've had EVGA Nvidia cards for about 6 or 7 years now which is hard to compare with. What manufacturer would be the best bet to go with for the 6950? I really like the lifetime warranty, but if the recommendation to go 6950 over 560 Ti is that strong, then I want to go with the best manufacturer. I'm thinking Sapphire or Diamond. What do you guys think?

Unless you think you are going to save enough money on power by the time you are going to upgrade again, I would stick with them. Consoles are gonna be out within 2 years and hardware reqs are gonna spike. You aren't getting a huge performance boost with this.

Consoles are irrelevant to me as I haven't owned one since the Nintendo 64 and console specs never affect PC hardware. However, I'm still considering just keeping the cards.

If I do upgrade I'm leaning, at this point, more toward the 560 Ti, solely because of EVGA's warranty. I just RMA'd my 3 year old motherboard with no questions asked. Now I can sell it as a recertified board instead of a board that may or may not work. I guess the only other thing would be to get the XFX 2GB 6950 which has great reviews. But the 1GB is out of the picture. I guess the card has some problems with the memory controller or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom