I need advice on the best components for a fast Desktop for Win7 64-bit /Linux that does not need to play video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSwhip

Solid State Member
A high performance PC for Web surfing with fast video to include watching HDTV on PC monitor and recording HDTV TV shows. - NOT for video games, I have no interest on those...so I do not want to spend a single dollar geared towards that -.

I know very little about putting together Computer hardware for a new system. I am somewhat used to Windows environments. Currently running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.
The system i now have is a Dell Studio 540 PC with 6 GB of ram memory on 4 banks with a potential for 8 total MB PC26400 800Mhz non interlaced. NVIDIA GEFORCE STS 240 1 GB Ram Video Card. Intel chip is Yorkville Quad Core Q9550 2.83 Ghz. no overclocking anywhere. Master HD is WD2001 FASS Black Caviar Sata 2 64MB cache 7200rpm, slave to that one is a WD 1002 FAEX Black Caviar SATA 3 with7200rpm too,

So far and since I own this for the last 15 months it has served me well; I usually have 40 to 50 Web pages open in the background, while I surf the web, and I don't see any bottle neck affecting computer speed, even though I have a modem through which my ISP only feeds Me with 10Mbps of D/l stream and 512 Kbps of upload.

I do know how to find the best prices though so if anyone could point me to one or 2 Brands Model #s and specifications for each component for my next 'ideal' rig given my needs I would really appreciate it.
Not a single dollar to be wasted in capability for video games. All for fast web viewing, HDTV viewing. 2 (even 3 if they exist) tuner card. SSD -when 1 GB = 1 dollar becomes available-. I am a retired person so this would likely be my last investment on a computer system, (mostly cause my income would not allow me those luxuries in the future).
To give an actual state of affairs (in case we could cannibalize some of the components to save for the rig to be put together)
I have the following Hardware in use now, aside from the system already described above. External Enclosure namely a SansDigital 4 bay TR4AM(-B)P with 3 GDD in JBOD mode, it has an High Point RR 622 6/Mbps(Sata3) controller card which I added to the tower. it has 2 Esata Ports
a. WD Green 2TB 64MB cache Sata2
b. WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache Sata2
c. Hitachi Desktar 7200 32MB cache Sata 2
Computer is wired to an SMG modem gateway Model SMC8014WG-RRR norm N using the light blue cable (i believe it is CAT5TV?) with a nominal 300Mbps maximum speed (when ISP makes fibre optics available for my cable service -I assume - not likely in the next 2/3 years yet)
My bottleneck is that the feed that i get from my ISP has a maximum d/l speed of 10Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 512Kbps

So with all that kept in mind, can anyone help me select the right components for my purpose, taking into consideration that I want the fastest and the best of them all without it being an 'overkill' ( I dont need to 'showboat' or brag about having the best in front of my peers of the Senior circuit)

I will really appreciate smart and knowledgeable contributions from members of this community.

Thank you kindly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom