I have Never built a PC ever....... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default I have Never built a PC ever.......

So I am using a macbook pro 2010.... I upgraded the HD to an SSD and ram... but its not enough..

I use my laptop to stream netflix... and edit videos on FCP for my youtube channel (affordabletech)

It cant handle it sometimes...

I have never built a PC...

Is it easier and cheaper to just buy a PC deal when a good deal comes up ?

Or cheaper to buy my own parts? how difficult is it?

And.. is there any affordable options.. IE less than $500 to build or purchase a machine that can handle FCP editing of videos etc. ?

thanks again guys!

affordabletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: I have Never built a PC ever.......

Final Cut is an OSX program, so you'll need a Mac to edit with that tool.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well any video editing software would be good.. just don't want to spend over 500 for a new computer.
affordabletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Since you'll need an OS with that and probably everything else it might be better to buy a prebuilt. It'll be hard to top this. I use these on a regular basis at work and the i5 is more than properly capable of video editing. The only thing you might want to upgrade anytime soon is grab an SSD.

Refurbished: HP Desktop Computer ProDesk 600 G1 Intel Core i5 4570 (3.20 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I can tell you from my own experience, that its not hard to build a computer. but it is stressful. i worried over picking out the best parts for the money, then making sure every piece was compatible. then there are all the unknowns, like how many little things that are necessary will i have to pickup, if they are not included with one part or another (like cables or other small stuff). then there is stress when installing critical parts, making absolutely certain to not damage anything. like it took me 4 tries to get the cpu cooler fully seated. next time all of this will be easier. the next time will likely be a few years down the road for my daughter. when she goes on to college. and by then, a lot of this will change. then there is installing and updating the software. personally, i NEEDED to do this to get a GOOD system that i could afford. so if stress isn't you bag, and money isn't a huge factor, i would suggest buying over building. basically i saved about $300 bucks by doing it myself. on what would be about an $800.00 computer.
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote