I have extra money to spend...SO..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtenorio3

Solid State Member
Hello guys,
This is my first post ever on these forums. A couple of months ago my friends helped me build my own computer so I can play any game at relatively high settings. My specs are as follows

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775
ASUS P5NSLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Mobo
x2 - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
ASUS Atlas A-55GA ATX12V 2.01 550W Power Supply
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
x2 - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard

I think it runs decent although this is my first desktop purchase I still think theres improvements to be made.

Should I upgrade my two 7600GTs for the 8800? Would there even be a noticeable difference? I looked at the card ratings and the 7600 is waay down there but I have 2.

The main reason why I'm thinking about upgrading is because I want to upgrade my OS to vista home premium and I heard that as of right now it doesn't support SLI. To help you help me, I play WoW, and soon I hope to play CaC 3, Supreme Commander, and Huxley on max when I get back from Iraq.

On a side note, (I read a couple of pages in the Vista faq page and theres 101 pages) can you install one full retail copy of Vista premium on 2 computers?

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but personally I wouldn't want Vista as my OS.

yes definitely the 8800 will have better performance the seagate barracuda is faster and has a longer warranty hard drive. Ram is ok but the G-skill 2 x1gb Hz are better (they're the black ones).

Matt

wait.... those Sli'ed 7600 GT's are eVGA, good u can trade one (maybe both and pay a little cash to get an 8800 GTS or GTX) i'm not an expert on eVGA's step up program but u can trade one to upgrade to a newer GPU. As for ur Vista question, if u get an OEM version, i think u can install it as much as u want?

go for the 8800 definitely will give you some improvement, and you can try to use the step-up program which will save you some money. also i believe if you get vista OEM, such as through newegg, i believe it specifically states that it can only be used on one computer EVER, at least that is what i gather from it. however it doesn't really make sense to me as i don't see how they could keep track of it?

I picked up:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

The install was a little bumpy (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/vista-install-139921/), but I got it in. I also ply WoW and got that installed. This was also a little bumpy. during the 2.0 patch install, it threw an error saying it couldn't find a file. I had to uninstall and reinstall. Second time it went fine. With the 8800 GTX, I'm getting an avg 50-55 fps in the Shatt City. I haven't done any OC'ing either.

with that vista copy you have, do you know if you can remove it from your pc and take it to another? or is it limited to that pc even after unistalling?

Looks like 8800 it is...thank you for inputs and I'll definitely check out the step up program I didn't even know it existed

with that vista copy you have, do you know if you can remove it from your pc and take it to another? or is it limited to that pc even after unistalling?

Good question. I don't know. It only gives me one license, so I'm assuming if I uninstall it from one and put it in another it would work fine. One day we'll know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom