I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gaming? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
The strange one
 
iParanormalx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

I dont know much about HP or Acer monitors, but I'm with PP. I was bought some Dell monitors at work and they are really high end IPS monitors and they rock (~600$ a piece). I do some graphical and web work for them and all of my end-result graphics are really accurate on just about any other monitor I view it on.

For real though. When it comes to brand-wars or just "Brand vs. Brand" I dont think a brand name alone adequately represents the capacity of greatness in their product. (some brands are the exception to this rule, such as Seiki/Sylvania/RCA) Each brand/manufacturer makes a spectrum of quality in their models. Some of their models are made to hit a price-point. In exchange for cutting costs to hit that price-point their product is of lesser quality. Other models, on the other hand, are made with higher quality materials, have extra interface ports (such as HDMI, USB, or Optical), carry additional support for post-processes like CMR or TruMotion enhancements and, in turn, are higher cost because of that. More effort from the manufacturer went into creating that more refined product, therefore is of higher quality and higher cost.

I'm saying these things because, for the most part, I try to stay brand-neutral. I believe it to be a good way to equally assess and compare products based on specifications and first-hand experience. The problem with this philosophy is that I have a limited first-hand experience with some brands. Therefore, my impression will be that the brand I have been satisfied with is the superior brand. This, on the other hand, is also where PP shines. He has a lot of different brand exposure. Therefore, allowing him more first-hand experience with products.

If you have 2 models from HP or Acer you're comparing - send us a link. We'd happily weigh the differences with you.
__________________

__________________

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Dauntae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,813
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

agree with PP although I have had a few Acer monitors with good results and still have them although they don't get as much use any more there both still working and one is a square 19" before they had wide screens so although they may be cheaper they have lasted for me.
__________________

__________________
New system
NZXT Tempest 410 - I5-4670K - Asus Z87-Plus - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PS
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600 (2x8gig) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 -Seagate Barracuda 3-TB

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: usa
Posts: 78
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormal View Post
If you have 2 models from HP or Acer you're comparing - send us a link. We'd happily weigh the differences with you.
OK here's the 2 monitors. I'm thinking of buying one of them for gaming. One is Acer and the other is HP:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...82E16824009720

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...82E16824276197
ruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormal View Post
I dont know much about HP or Acer monitors, but I'm with PP. I was bought some Dell monitors at work and they are really high end IPS monitors and they rock (~600$ a piece). I do some graphical and web work for them and all of my end-result graphics are really accurate on just about any other monitor I view it on.

For real though. When it comes to brand-wars or just "Brand vs. Brand" I dont think a brand name alone adequately represents the capacity of greatness in their product. (some brands are the exception to this rule, such as Seiki/Sylvania/RCA) Each brand/manufacturer makes a spectrum of quality in their models. Some of their models are made to hit a price-point. In exchange for cutting costs to hit that price-point their product is of lesser quality. Other models, on the other hand, are made with higher quality materials, have extra interface ports (such as HDMI, USB, or Optical), carry additional support for post-processes like CMR or TruMotion enhancements and, in turn, are higher cost because of that. More effort from the manufacturer went into creating that more refined product, therefore is of higher quality and higher cost.

I'm saying these things because, for the most part, I try to stay brand-neutral. I believe it to be a good way to equally assess and compare products based on specifications and first-hand experience. The problem with this philosophy is that I have a limited first-hand experience with some brands. Therefore, my impression will be that the brand I have been satisfied with is the superior brand. This, on the other hand, is also where PP shines. He has a lot of different brand exposure. Therefore, allowing him more first-hand experience with products.

If you have 2 models from HP or Acer you're comparing - send us a link. We'd happily weigh the differences with you.
Dell sent us two monitors to try. One Ultrawide, and one 23" 1080p IPS. I told the lady I wanted to take the Dell home with me and use it as a secondary monitor it was so good. They would sell them to us for 100 bucks a pop, in comparison HP is selling us 24" IPS monitors for about 550 a pop and they look worse and aren't calibrated from the factory.

The Acer IMO is a better buy.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,506
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

I have the same Acer and I like it so far.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: usa
Posts: 78
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The Acer IMO is a better buy.
Why do you say that? What's wrong with the HP monitor in your view?
ruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Better response, cheaper, not white (**** gets dirty fast), lighter, and built in speakers if you need it.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: usa
Posts: 78
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Better response, cheaper, not white (**** gets dirty fast), lighter, and built in speakers if you need it.
Hi PP. But I thought there was very very little difference between 5ms and 7ms response times.

Also the HP monitor isn't matte, its glossy which makes it more ideal and more vibrant than a matte monitor, just to let you know. What do you think of all that?
ruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

There isn't, it's just a small pro and I hate glossy monitors. They're ****ing terrible. It doesn't actually really do anything except make a huge glare of any light source in your room or put a reflection on your screen during dark scenes.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,506
Default Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
There isn't, it's just a small pro and I hate glossy monitors. They're ****ing terrible. It doesn't actually really do anything except make a huge glare of any light source in your room or put a reflection on your screen during dark scenes.
This. I hate glossy monitors if you're in any kind of environment with lights that will reflect your screen. Makes it nearly impossible to see what's actually on your screen sometimes. While yes it does make things look more vibrant at times...unless you're going to be in a darkened area / area with no light source to reflect off of your monitor...just go with a matte display.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monitor brand comparison for response time. ryan7777 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 4 02-19-2012 11:29 PM
Would a 12ms response time effect gaming much? MrZucchiniHead New Systems | Building and Buying 16 06-16-2006 10:57 PM
monitor response time Norcent System Upgrades 2 05-29-2006 01:23 PM
Response Time and Refresh Rate illmatic1 System Upgrades 6 12-03-2005 01:19 AM
MS Response time JoshSB System Upgrades 7 11-24-2005 06:10 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.