I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gaming?

I dont know much about HP or Acer monitors, but I'm with PP. I was bought some Dell monitors at work and they are really high end IPS monitors and they rock (~600$ a piece). I do some graphical and web work for them and all of my end-result graphics are really accurate on just about any other monitor I view it on.

For real though. When it comes to brand-wars or just "Brand vs. Brand" I dont think a brand name alone adequately represents the capacity of greatness in their product. (some brands are the exception to this rule, such as Seiki/Sylvania/RCA) Each brand/manufacturer makes a spectrum of quality in their models. Some of their models are made to hit a price-point. In exchange for cutting costs to hit that price-point their product is of lesser quality. Other models, on the other hand, are made with higher quality materials, have extra interface ports (such as HDMI, USB, or Optical), carry additional support for post-processes like CMR or TruMotion enhancements and, in turn, are higher cost because of that. More effort from the manufacturer went into creating that more refined product, therefore is of higher quality and higher cost.

I'm saying these things because, for the most part, I try to stay brand-neutral. I believe it to be a good way to equally assess and compare products based on specifications and first-hand experience. The problem with this philosophy is that I have a limited first-hand experience with some brands. Therefore, my impression will be that the brand I have been satisfied with is the superior brand. This, on the other hand, is also where PP shines. He has a lot of different brand exposure. Therefore, allowing him more first-hand experience with products.

If you have 2 models from HP or Acer you're comparing - send us a link. We'd happily weigh the differences with you.

Last edited:
agree with PP although I have had a few Acer monitors with good results and still have them although they don't get as much use any more there both still working and one is a square 19" before they had wide screens so although they may be cheaper they have lasted for me.

Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

I dont know much about HP or Acer monitors, but I'm with PP. I was bought some Dell monitors at work and they are really high end IPS monitors and they rock (~600$ a piece). I do some graphical and web work for them and all of my end-result graphics are really accurate on just about any other monitor I view it on.

For real though. When it comes to brand-wars or just "Brand vs. Brand" I dont think a brand name alone adequately represents the capacity of greatness in their product. (some brands are the exception to this rule, such as Seiki/Sylvania/RCA) Each brand/manufacturer makes a spectrum of quality in their models. Some of their models are made to hit a price-point. In exchange for cutting costs to hit that price-point their product is of lesser quality. Other models, on the other hand, are made with higher quality materials, have extra interface ports (such as HDMI, USB, or Optical), carry additional support for post-processes like CMR or TruMotion enhancements and, in turn, are higher cost because of that. More effort from the manufacturer went into creating that more refined product, therefore is of higher quality and higher cost.

I'm saying these things because, for the most part, I try to stay brand-neutral. I believe it to be a good way to equally assess and compare products based on specifications and first-hand experience. The problem with this philosophy is that I have a limited first-hand experience with some brands. Therefore, my impression will be that the brand I have been satisfied with is the superior brand. This, on the other hand, is also where PP shines. He has a lot of different brand exposure. Therefore, allowing him more first-hand experience with products.

If you have 2 models from HP or Acer you're comparing - send us a link. We'd happily weigh the differences with you.
Dell sent us two monitors to try. One Ultrawide, and one 23" 1080p IPS. I told the lady I wanted to take the Dell home with me and use it as a secondary monitor it was so good. They would sell them to us for 100 bucks a pop, in comparison HP is selling us 24" IPS monitors for about 550 a pop and they look worse and aren't calibrated from the factory.

The Acer IMO is a better buy.

Re: I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gam

I have the same Acer and I like it so far.

The Acer IMO is a better buy.

Why do you say that? What's wrong with the HP monitor in your view?

Last edited:
Better response, cheaper, not white (**** gets dirty fast), lighter, and built in speakers if you need it.

Hi PP. But I thought there was very very little difference between 5ms and 7ms response times.

Also the HP monitor isn't matte, its glossy which makes it more ideal and more vibrant than a matte monitor, just to let you know. What do you think of all that?

Last edited:
There isn't, it's just a small pro and I hate glossy monitors. They're ****ing terrible. It doesn't actually really do anything except make a huge glare of any light source in your room or put a reflection on your screen during dark scenes.

There isn't, it's just a small pro and I hate glossy monitors. They're ****ing terrible. It doesn't actually really do anything except make a huge glare of any light source in your room or put a reflection on your screen during dark scenes.

This. I hate glossy monitors if you're in any kind of environment with lights that will reflect your screen. Makes it nearly impossible to see what's actually on your screen sometimes. While yes it does make things look more vibrant at times...unless you're going to be in a darkened area / area with no light source to reflect off of your monitor...just go with a matte display.

Back
Top Bottom