I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying: 1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gaming?

ruzzi

Baseband Member
I got 2 questions about a monitor with 7ms I'm dying of buying:

1) Is a monitor with 7ms response time good for gaming? Will there be noticeable lag?

2) Would a monitor with 4ms be as unnoticeable in lag as one with 7ms?

Yeah, it'll be unnoticeable. You're comparing 7/1000ths of a second to 4/1000ths of a second.

I can definitely notice it coming from a TV where the response is 15+ms but I don't notice it visually without side-by-side comparison less than that but I definitely feel it when i twitch my mouse around to quickly aim at an opponent. IMO the faster the response the better.

Coming from a CSGO LEM, if that means anything at all to you.

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of TVs tend not to be good as monitors as even though the pixel change response (the time is takes for a pixel to turn from black to white and black again) is perfectly okay, all the extra processing adds in a ton of latency, easily 50-100ms. On most decent TVs however you can turn these processing effects off to improve latency.

Most decent TVs have a game mode which makes the screen act like a monitor. Mine does. I'd say that latency is that of a typical IPS screen on my TV.

Even with game mode on where all processes are turned off I can still feel it. Now if I'm playing a game I'm not as familure with then it doesn't matter. But something like CSGO, with over 2k hours, I can feel it and can't stand it. Its not necessarily something I see, rather than just how it feels.

If you can find a TV with a lower response time than 15ms then I would be impressed. I remember looking for a gaming TV a few years back and even the most high end Samsung were averaging around 20ms with game mode on.

My tastes are starting to change though. I got a really nice IPS panel at work and its color is just great. Wish they made an affordable IPS with low response and high refresh rate. That would be heaven. For now Im stuck with my 1ms 144hz TN panel lol

But for real, it is just taste. So to the OP: If you aren't a pro, you don't need to worry about that small of a difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom