I caved in..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just run 3DMark06 and Vantage for now and then Benchmark your games as you play them. If they don't have a Benchmark you can use FRAPS, I have the registered version :D

FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

Where did you pre-order from? You might have better chance canceling and just camping out some sites, because there are a lot of people who have done that very thing and have received their shipments before anyone got their pre-orders.

Amazon, I've been checking a few sites regularly but the EVGA models don't last long. I can cancel my Amazon order at anytime so I'll wait.

Just run 3DMark06 and Vantage for now and then Benchmark your games as you play them. If they don't have a Benchmark you can use FRAPS, I have the registered version :D

Amazon, I've been checking a few sites regularly but the EVGA models don't last long. I can cancel my Amazon order at anytime so I'll wait.

My PC fails at 3dMark06, i have a good GPU and CPU and the rest is just crap. But i'll download it and give it a shot, along with Vantage.

And yeh i upgraded from a 512mb ATI 4870. Can't wait till the 470 arrives later today :D

Thanks. The performance from reviews is slightly disappointing at this point in time considering cost/heat/power consumption but i am hoping it is more driver related, it would explain why the card is so inconsistent - with some games beating the 5870 by a decent margin and on others it falling quite a bit behind the 5850, the GTX280 even beats it in some games, worryingly. Then again, that is on the basis that all these reviews are totally legit and haven't been at all bias to either red or green sides. Whatever happens though the end result is that it's a substantial upgrade over my current card.

Yeah there's a huge thread over at hardforum about people who pre-ordered their ATi 5850's back in October and are just now getting them this month :O at least they are getting it for MSRP though.

Nice buy :D

edit: but holy crap! You guys get screwed with VAT!
We have GST, but it's only 10%

Yeah, 17.5percent.

Got the card and psu, paid like $17 extra to get it delivered after 12pm, and guess what they tried to deliver it at 10:50am. Luckily my neighbour noticed and signed for it.

The performance seems fantastic. The card seems really efficient at AA. I get the same fps with BFBC2 at maximum settings, with 32xCSAA as i did with my 4870 at medium with no AA.

Same with JC2, people said the physx enabled water really screws up your fps - but with everything at max, 32xCSAA, bokeh filter, SSAO, physx enabled water - it was still smooth and lucked gorgeous. Again, runs better than the 4870 could manage at medium/high with no AA.

The additional video memory is really useful on GTA4 too, although it still manages to use 1.15gb at maximum settings :umm: This game struggles a little more, hovers around 30fps. But then the game is very CPU intensive so maybe thats my downfall, and the game is 17gb in size whilst i only have 3gb of ram at the moment (discovered with 4th 1gb module is broke). That said, it's still playable at highest settings.

Yeah there's a huge thread over at hardforum about people who pre-ordered their ATi 5850's back in October and are just now getting them this month :O at least they are getting it for MSRP though.

Availability in the US and Canada seems a much bigger issue than it is here. Only for the first 1 or 2 weeks when a good card is first released might you have to preorder it. And even then new stock arrives every 2 or 3 days usually, so at most you wait about 5 days i fine. 95percent of the time when a card like the GTX470 has just been released you can always find it in stock somewhere, and any card thats been out 1 or 2 months is always in stock on places like ebuyer.com

EU is bigger into pc gaming than NA, so that makes sense.

Isn't the ps3 more popular everywhere in Europe than 360 everywhere except like the UK?

I could really get used to launching every game, putting it in max settings and playing with a smooth frame rate :D As long as i don't go to ridiculous levels of AA, i haven't found a game that doesn't run >30fps at max, which is all you really need for an enjoyable experience.

My next plan is to get a new Mobo and SLI these things with three 3D screens and nVidia's 3D Vision. Cost would be around £1000, but it'd be pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom