I can't get my RAM to run at 1066Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I just bought this RAM, and it says that it should run at 1066Mhz, but it's only running at 800. I tinkered with BIOS a bit and set the voltage to 2.1V per the manufacturer recommendation. I also messed with the overclocking settings and it hasn't changed any. I have had no errors or blue screens of death, and I run Vista 32bit.

In addition I also installed my new AMD Phenom II X4 945 (3.0Ghz) and it runs fine. They recommended to get that in order to run the RAM I got.

My MoBo is an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2.

I'm at a loss here to get the most out of my RAM.

Go into the Bios, navigate to the Advanced Tab and then go into the Jumperfree Configuration.
Set CPU Overclocking to Manual
This will enable all the settings to be adjusted.
Go to the Memory Clock Mode. What value is this set to? 200 MHz? Even if it is set to Auto it should tell you what setting is presently applied. If you don't know or it is set to 200 MHz then change this to 266 MHz. If it's already at 266 or higher then raise it to the next higher option.
Go to the Setting called DRAM Timing Mode and change the following values
CAS Latency - 5
TRCD - 5
TRP - 5
TRAS - 18
leave all the other timings to AUTO

leave the DRAM Voltage at 2.1V and Save and Exit.

If the system reverts back to 800 MHz then readjust all the setting as we did above and increase the DRAM Voltage to 2.2V (the spec's I'm looking at say 2.1V-2.2V).

If it still doesn't run at 1066 MHz then you need to post some CPU-Z screenshots along with a HWMonitor screenshot.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of cpu-z on the cpu tab, the memory tab, and the spd tab?

I think I just answered my own question by looking at these, but here are the screen shots and you can give me a second opinion. I think the answer is to go back into BIOS and up my frequency to 533Mhz, I think I set it to 333Mhz.

memoryk.jpg

cpuzy.jpg

ram1n.jpg

ram2g.jpg

Go into the Bios, navigate to the Advanced Tab and then go into the Jumperfree Configuration.
Set CPU Overclocking to Manual
This will enable all the settings to be adjusted.
Go to the Memory Clock Mode. What value is this set to? 200 MHz? Even if it is set to Auto it should tell you what setting is presently applied. If you don't know or it is set to 200 MHz then change this to 266 MHz. If it's already at 266 or higher then raise it to the next higher option.
Go to the Setting called DRAM Timing Mode and change the following values
CAS Latency - 5
TRCD - 5
TRP - 5
TRAS - 18
leave all the other timings to AUTO

leave the DRAM Voltage at 2.1V and Save and Exit.

If the system reverts back to 800 MHz then readjust all the setting as we did above and increase the DRAM Voltage to 2.2V (the spec's I'm looking at say 2.1V-2.2V).

If it still doesn't run at 1066 MHz then you need to post some CPU-Z screenshots along with a HWMonitor screenshot.

Ok this sounds good. I'm going to print it out and give it a shot after dinner. I'll report back with the results. Thanks again.

Your memory is DDR or Double Data Rate so it's running at 2x's the value I boxed in red.
mem2r.jpg

I wonder what is holding it back then... What else in BIOS can I do to fix this? My CPU should be more then sufficient to support 1066MHz, it's part of the reason I got the CPU I did, so I could run 1066MHz RAM per my MoBo specs. I consider myself a moderate to advanced user with PC's, but I'm not 100% proficient with BIOS... I know one slip up could make my PC a door stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom