I bought the Thermaltake Toughpower 750Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
I bought the Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Watts Power Supply and instead of setting an RMA replacement for the Corsair 620Watts that I originally had on my build, i told newegg to just give me a refund.

The thermaltake toughpower 750 watts is only $132.00 at cost with my discount at compusa with tax and replacement plan comes to $150+ dollars. So im covered with it for two years if anything goes wrong i get a brand new one :D

So anyway, is this a good power supply?

its not modular but its ok i guess, i have the thermaltake cause and it has plenty of room to hide the extra wires and stuff.

wait, i just realized maybe i should have gotten this one...

CompUSA.com: Thermaltake ToughPower Cable Management 750 Watt Power Supply Unit - W0116RU - Computer Upgrades » Power Supplies

that one is modular and i bet it cost the same with my discount but its not available in store so i have to have a business sales order it for me.......

but this is the one i got...

CompUSA.com: Thermaltake ToughPower 750 Watt ATX Internal Power Supply Unit - W0117RU - Computer Upgrades » Power Supplies

is that a good psu though? compared to the DOA Corsair 620 Watt I recieved?

Not my favorite...but it will work just fine. I hate it becuase it's a horrible price but if you got it as a good deal then I guess thats ok.

that PSU sucks man! what were you thinking! OMFG!
meh heh..just kiddin bro

Wahh, i was like omg, i bought a stupid PSU. But seriously....... should i get the one with modular cable or not? I think they are the same price with my discount, i couldnt search the price on the modular one because i didnt have the sku on it since we dont sell them in the store its only sold online.

However, if the price on it is the same as the non modular, should i get it?

We dont carry modular PSU's on the store. I was even thinking of getting this PSU.....

CompUSA.com: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watt Internal Power Supply Unit - RS-850-EMBA - Computer Upgrades » Power Supplies

It is only $178 with my discount and considering it cost $249.00 at newegg i thought it was a great deal but they all tell me its not worth getting since its an overkill.

So out of all these powersupplies ....

Power Supplies » Computer Upgrades @ CompUSA.com

which one should i get that would fit nicely for my build?

FYI, i returned the Corsair and change the RMA from replacement to refund today since it was defective. I could still wait and get the Corsair if you guys want me to do that. I can just change it back to replacement again but ill have to wait like a few more weeks until it arrives. I hate newegg doesnt cross ship!

I have the Thermaltake Toughpower Modular and it's a VERY nice PSU. It is a bit pricey, that's the only thing.

The Toughpower series are extremely efficient (over 85% in many cases), have very stable quad rails with very low ripple, supply a lot of power (the 750w has a combined rail max rated load of 60A) and are very reliable. They also run quite cool and quiet (140mm fan).

in fact jonnyguru gave it a 9/10 in his review...only cons were regarding it's looks...which I don't particularly agree with....looks nice to me.

BTW it's the PurePower series that you want to avoid, they really aren't very good at all.

I have the Thermaltake Toughpower Modular and it's a VERY nice PSU. It is a bit pricey, that's the only thing.

The Toughpower series are extremely efficient (over 85% in many cases), have very stable quad rails with very low ripple, supply a lot of power (the 750w has a combined rail max rated load of 60A) and are very reliable. They also run quite cool and quiet (140mm fan).

in fact jonnyguru gave it a 9/10 in his review...only cons were regarding it's looks...which I don't particularly agree with....looks nice to me.

BTW it's the PurePower series that you want to avoid, they really aren't very good at all.

Cool, good to know. I think I will return the one I bought last night which was the non modular one and get the modular one that will not arrive until a few days since it will be ordered through business sales. The store does not carry any modular psu thats why. :(

Thanks for the reply though, it just made up my mind and i will difinitely go with this........

CompUSA.com: Thermaltake ToughPower Cable Management 750 Watt Power Supply Unit - W0116RU - Computer Upgrades » Power Supplies

750watts for the specs in your sig is a lot. Your system even with overclocking will use may-be 450watts. So at least you now have a future proofed PSU if you wanted to go with a Quad Core and SLI and add a bunch of hard drives and 4 GIG of ram and a bunch of other stuff.

As far as modular PSU's go, I'm not a big fan. Modular plugs cause resistance between the plug and the actually wires. Sure, they look neat and are nice for wire management, but for the best possible performance solution, I go with nothing other then an Uninterrupted Power Supply.

750watts for the specs in your sig is a lot. Your system even with overclocking will use may-be 450watts. So at least you now have a future proofed PSU if you wanted to go with a Quad Core and SLI and add a bunch of hard drives and 4 GIG of ram and a bunch of other stuff

it's nice not to have to stress the PSU a lot though as efficiency will usually go down a bit....I like a bit of headroom....also more room for future upgrades like a 8800GTX :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom