I am researching a new gaming power build

Status
Not open for further replies.
75gb!? And I thought I had too much games...

I'd really like to have it on my SSD as black ops load times were cut in half and Garry's Mod, which is nothing but loading files would be speedy.. :(

I'd really like to have it on my SSD as black ops load times were cut in half and Garry's Mod, which is nothing but loading files would be speedy.. :(
If you have the space you can move individual Steam games using Steam Mover.

Ya, that just creates junctions, I did that manually with battlefield bad company 2, but it doesn't work with Valve games because they use gfc files and junctions only work with directories...

Ya, that just creates junctions, I did that manually with battlefield bad company 2, but it doesn't work with Valve games because they use gfc files and junctions only work with directories...
I was curious whether that was true. I just used SteamMover to move Portal 2 onto my SSD. I just played ten minutes of it with no problems. Ofc, that doesn't guarantee that other Valve games will work.

It probably only moved the portal 2 folder, not the gfc files...which are the real problem; they're huge files.

You're kinda right - everything is on my SSD, but it's also still in the original folder. So yeah, it failed :p

The only reason I'm only getting a 30GB SSD is just for the OS installation, everything else will be installed on the other drives. I was looking for the standard air cooled 580s but they take up a lot more room and with liquid cooling I could overclock those higher. I'm not really sure if I'll be overclocking the RAM, I think I'll just stick to the processor and GPUs. I did find a better 8GB kit though, they're G.Skill, which I've never used, but I've never really heard anything bad about their memory and they have pretty good specs. The heatsinks look nice too.

OCing the RAM in Intel builds yields so little extra performance (somewhere in the region of 0.5% at best is what I've read), it's not worth it, and also makes OCing the CPU more difficult as a result of the memory controller having to work harder.
G.Skill are a great brand.

Well, thank you everybody for all your advice. This is my first Intel build and I am very excited to put this together. It looks like a beautiful setup. I just need to figure out the RAID config and I'll be set. 1 last thing, if anybody could suggest a good RAID controller or just let me know if I even need one. Thanks again for all your help :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom