huge price change in memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
Well i am getting ready for Windows 7 and want to go with 64 bit so i can have more memory. The memory i bought before Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G - Desktop Memory
was only $48. I want to go and buy 2 more to have 8gb memory but now they are $100?! was it on sale before?

Also i am trying to buy a new HD. Any suggestions? I want to dual run the OS's and transfer files over and then make the second HD (my orginal) a slave drive.

And (sorry for all the questions) should i upgrade my power supply which is only 450w. Since my orginal build i went froma Phenom II 710x3 to a x4 950 so I am thinking it might not be able to handle that with more memory and 2 HDs.

ya, idk whats up with that. same thing happened to the ram im running now. bought 4gb for like $45 and now its $80...

as for a hard drive, a nice western digital black should do you good.

that corsair 450w is a good little psu, it should handle everything fine. may want to consider upgrading it in the future though, especially if you ever add a stronger vid card

Well i am getting ready for Windows 7 and want to go with 64 bit so i can have more memory. The memory i bought before Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G - Desktop Memory
was only $48. I want to go and buy 2 more to have 8gb memory but now they are $100?! was it on sale before?

Also i am trying to buy a new HD. Any suggestions? I want to dual run the OS's and transfer files over and then make the second HD (my orginal) a slave drive.

And (sorry for all the questions) should i upgrade my power supply which is only 450w. Since my orginal build i went froma Phenom II 710x3 to a x4 950 so I am thinking it might not be able to handle that with more memory and 2 HDs.

Chump,

Recession hit and people began to stop buying RAM. Thus, many companies had huge warehouses full of RAM but the demand that was once very high, went very low. Hence, these companies began to dump large quantities of RAM for very, very low prices so they did not have to pay the large warehouse storage prices.

After a few months, the huge surplus of RAM was sold at those rock bottom prices. Thus, the supply no longer far outweighed the demand. This has now led to a large increase in RAM prices [because now the supply is so much smaller than before].

Hope this answers your RAM questions...

Many companies are dumping excellent power supplies for incredibly low prices lately. I recently purchased a couple of different PSU's at or near the 700 watt range and one is modular and each PSU was under $40.

Last, several companies are also dumping HD's at very low prices [I purchased a huge Samsung 1.5 Terabyte HD w/ 3 yr warranty from Fry's last week for $79]. If you look around, you can still find killer deals on lots of different computer components [I check Fatwallet everyday for super steals].

I have often built incredibly nice machines for much less than 50% of the normal costs. You just have to be patient and look around and do your homework.

Have a good one!

Soar

I read rumurs of memory companies having a little get-together also.... to regulate ram prices

but as soar posted, supply and demand is the main reason

Amps on the 12V rails.

The coolmax has 2-18A and 1 15 amp rails.. The corsair has 1 rail at 33As

But, you also look at quality.. At 29.99 for a 600 psu, verses a 69.99 450W psu, theres an obvious difference..
The corsairs are like ferraris and the coolmax is a pinto... So no, infact the corsair is miles above the coolmax.

Also remember, the psu nis the heart of a computer.. it blows, you can loose all your parts.. Don't skinmp on psus.

The 450 corsair is plenty powerfdul enough for your setup.. But if you need upgrading, buy a good psu first.

thanks. Yea i wanna upgrade. I planned to get 2x2gb more memory.(for a new windows 7 64bit OS). and then another 500gb-1tb HD. I would like have crossfire video cards but my mobo only has 1 pci 2 slot.

yea youre right i really dont need 2 video cards. And also instead of getting 4 more gb of ram ill just get 2x1gb sticks since the price is so high. Then i'll grab a nice HD and that should be fine for now.

and alittle offtopic but my tower looks really boring, i want to make the one side panel have a window. this would be nice Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

but i dont think it would fit my Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-334-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom