htpc build by a noob

My server running Plex has a C2D e8400 and it has no issues transcoding... before this machine, I had a P4 with HT, and it transcoded fairly fine as well (would hiccup once in a while on large 1080p movies).

I ran PS3 media server on an i3 2120 before easily. It depends on the content you're streaming though because on some things not even my 3960x was enough.

Like I said, it CAN help, trust me, I ran PLEX for years on an i3-530 just fine, but at times some of my media was almost too much for it to chew, and some of it is more than any dual core will ever be able to chew up. With 4k video coming along slowly, but surely, a quad MIGHT be more beneficial than we would like to think.

Keep in mind that most HTPC cases are low profile which means that you should be using a lower wattage cpu in order to keep the temps and fan noise in check. I've seen some HTPC's using the ARM processors

Does anyone know if they make a bracket to change the silverstone 450w psu from sfx to atx?

I picked up a bitfenix prodigy for $40 australian and would love to use it....

My server running Plex has a C2D e8400 and it has no issues transcoding... before this machine, I had a P4 with HT, and it transcoded fairly fine as well (would hiccup once in a while on large 1080p movies).

As long as you are only transcoding one video at a time. If you have multiple clients its transcoding for at a time..it can get pretty intense. Not sure if the OP has that need or not.

As long as you are only transcoding one video at a time. If you have multiple clients its transcoding for at a time..it can get pretty intense. Not sure if the OP has that need or not.

And that's why I said it might be a good idea to consider the i5, he may eventually want to transcode in the future, and if he ends up like me, and wants to be able to stream from said HTPC to other streamable devices in the house at one time he may need something a bit beefier... I know my i3 could handle two 720p videos at one time, but that was it, nothing more, and even some 1080p content depending on the codec would bring the i3 to it's knees. Yes the newer i3's are much faster than mine, but, it still remains we are at a stage that 4k video is slowly coming down the pipe, and in a few more years 1080p will be the lowest, and 4k the highest, a few years after that 4k will be the lowest resolution video, and 8k will take over. I doubt OP would want to get a low-end CPU, and have to rebuild in a few years because of new video formats, while he can somewhat future proof and get something in the middle with a few bucks more and hold out a little longer before needing a total rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom