Htpc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
I already ordered parts for my desktop computer.. However.. I am thinking to build HTPC for my TV as well.
I have 47" LCD TV, and it would be nice to have HTPC for it.

I know ThermalTake have some very nice cases for HTPCs..

But what kind of CPU and Video card would I need?

The most cost effiecent HTPC is a 780G motherboard, aparently the gigabtye one is the best, a a64x2 4200+ (2.2ghz) or better for blu ray playing and you need 4GB of ram, the videocard eats 512mb of memory and Vista eats another 1GB.

The 780G has intergrated HD 3450 graphics (Simply renamed to HD 3200), with superior High Definition abilities.

You can also buy another HD 3450 or 3470 to further increase your HD performance and it will hybrid crossfire with the onboard graphics. ATI exclusive.

I guess I would not have reason to have fast video card or CPU?

I also thinking to use Linux MCE...
So not Windows, especially Vista.

Well many programs, tv tuners and such are supported by windows already, your just asking yourself for trouble looking linux supported drivers, but it is an option and some you should be able to find hardware to support linux.

Also, Xp media centre edition and Vista Home Premium is great for HTPCs.

A 4200+ is recommend in the gigabyte motherboard for blu ray playing. Unless you do a whole lot of encoding and ripping , a Phenom x3 (When if comes out) or Phenom x4 is a ton better. You don't want to be doing too much ocing and most people want to keep their HTPC's as quiet as possible with low end CPU's that require less power (Athlon BE 2300 @ 45w) and quiet CPU coolers.

yea i heard about linux media centre edition before.

Its just that the drivers all support windows ,now kinda askng for trouble to get linux drivers.

Theres an easy media thing in Vista premium too.

Vista has a great media center that supports add-ins. Linux is a pain to get set up but I guess in the end you'd get the same results. In the end it's up to your preference combined with your level of computer ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom