Ht?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bum

In Runtime
I'll be buying/building a computer when I graduate and I have everything figured out except the processor. I know I want a 939 socket, but I can't decide between opteron or Athlon. Athlons have better HT, but I don't really know what that does in terms of a gaming computer.

So what is HT and what does it do for you? And will I feel a difference if both are clocked at the same speed?

Most people here will tell you to go with the much cheaper Opty and overclock it. The X2's are pretty pricey for the high end stuff if that's your worry. Both are **** good CPU's for gaming either way.

Eh ... Opteron=Athlon 64, except the lower end Opteron's have doubled the Athlon 64's L2 cache and in general, Opteron's OC more than Athlon 64's.

There is no stock HTT difference.

I was thinking single core. A Dual core server processor sounds bad *** but at the same time do you really need all that power?

and opterons have 1000Mghz Ht, Athlons have like 2000 or whatever.
I don't really know what that means, but thats what I'm reading off newegg.

EDIT: I used to want dual core, so yes a opteron 165 was the plan, but for now I think I'll let dual core tech mature more before I buy it

bum said:
I was thinking single core. A Dual core server processor sounds bad *** but at the same time do you really need all that power?

and opterons have 1000Mghz Ht, Athlons have like 2000 or whatever.
I don't really know what that means, but thats what I'm reading off newegg.

EDIT: I used to want dual core, so yes a opteron 165 was the plan, but for now I think I'll let dual core tech mature more before I buy it

Don't think of it as a server processor. Its more like a really high overclocking Athlon 64. Except that, being Opterons, they're more stable. No one uses Socket 939 Opterons as server processors, lol.

1000Mhz HT and 2000Mhz HT are the same thing. They're both right because 1000Mhz is the actual HT Bus Speed, and 2000Mhz is the effective HT Bus Speed. Instructions can be sent on the rise of the clock cycle, as well as the fall of the clock cycle, so two instructions per clock cycle. 1,000,000,000 (1000Mhz) clock cycles per second x 2 instructions per clock cycle = 2,000,000,000 (2000Mhz) effective speed. There are two ways of writing it, and they're both right.

how much more "mature" do you want dual core to be?

dual core is symetric multi processing. the difference is that both processors are on one chip that go in one socket.

we've had SMP for like 15 years, its mature....

1000Mhz HT and 2000Mhz HT are the same thing. They're both right because 1000Mhz is the actual HT Bus Speed, and 2000Mhz is the effective HT Bus Speed. Instructions can be sent on the rise of the clock cycle, as well as the fall of the clock cycle, so two instructions per clock cycle. 1,000,000,000 (1000Mhz) clock cycles per second x 2 instructions per clock cycle = 2,000,000,000 (2000Mhz) effective speed. There are two ways of writing it, and they're both right.
perfect explaination.

also i think we can say dual cores are pretty mature, after almost a year of production we would know of any significant issues especially considering the beating overclockers can give them with in just one month.

How do you overclock a dual core anyway? (i was thinking you had to do it for each core?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom