How's this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndeeG

Beta member
I'm thinking of making my own computer and have just been fooling around on newegg for the past couple of days. So far i have all the main components (i think). The final price is about $1400 which seems quite a bit better than if i had bought a pre-made computer with the same specs. Keep in mind i have no plans to buy these components in the near future. the list goes as follows...

Case: $140: Gigabyte 3d aurora gz-fsca1-ans atx full tower

HDD: $110: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Power Supply: $100: Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12v ATX12v 550W

RAM: $200: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1gb) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

CPU: $334: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1Ghz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX

GPU: $360: eVGA 256-P2-N518 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

MOBO: Free w/ graphics card: eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Total: $1419.37

If it was me, i'd get my self a raptor 74GIG or wait a month till the 150GIG version comes out.

250GIG>74GIG
7200RPM<10000RPM
I like speed over size.

Also the PSU there is a 520WATT OCZ powerstream for 120$, it's about the same, but it's sli enabled, and has a sweet GREEN LED.
Or get the 600WATT version for 180$, lol or wait for the 800WATT version to come out in mid march.

Aswell, I heard that some games, (in the near future) will require dual core CPU's, Im not totally sure about that, but if your spending that much, you just might want to do a bit of research, on that topic.

Otherwise killer system:)

And sorry for makeing it such a long post lol.

if you have plenty of RAM (2g in my case) where does hard drive speed really come into play? i have a 60g hard drive in my current computer and i find that much too small, so i'd probably want to buy 2 in order to be happy with the setup.

For SLI, do the two gpu's need to be the same? because i'd start with the 7800gt and then if i decided i wanted an upgrade i would probably keep the first processor and buy a second.

As far i as i know, Ram has nothig to do with HARD DRIVE SPEED, the diffrence betwwen 7200 and the 10000 will be slightly niticiable, but if you atake a 5200 then it's huge, the faster the hard drive speed the faster the load times in games, the faster stuff will open. Get the 74 raptor about 150$, and get a 500GIG Maxtor, it's about 100$ on sale at any store.

GPU's represent what? i kinda forgot that... well basically you need two of the same exactly kind card to run sli, if you get the 7800GT, for sli you will need two 7800GT, I think that's about 500-650$, so that's a halla lot of money for you, get a single 7800GT for now that more then enough to run anything. BUT get the 600 or 520 OCZ PSU since IF YOU WILL EVER SLI, you will have the proper PSU for the sli.

about the RAM and hard drive speed, i was saying that if you have enough RAM, you don't need to load things off of the hard drive as frequently.

If i do end up building this computer, it won't be till around march as i'm getting some sort of computer for my birthday. I'll probably end up working the components around my parents' budget but i'll be sure to use Sli capable equipment for future upgrades.

You should get a better motherboard than the one that comes with the video card, and get the -17-AX model of the video card. The mobo that comes with it isnt very good, its decent but you may want something different, especially if you plan on overclocking.
No overclocking => MSI K8N SLI-F $100
Overclocking => DFI Lanparty SLI-DR $200

Edit: if you wait until march, you should wait for the M2 socket from AMD, so you can use DDR2 among other things. Also the Nvidia 7900 should be out sometime in Q2, so that should drive down the prices of the 7800's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom