howdy all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.birdy

Baseband Member
so ya i bought this a while back
Newegg.com - HP Pavilion P6310F(AY018AA#ABA) Athlon II X4 630(2.8GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

or if yall know of something better

i have this monitor
Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

as for me.i do light gaming and some 3d modeling.and just improve the look all round

so i have been researching a bit and know a few things but if yall could please explain it all to me.with the card i know that i need a new powersupply.current one is 300w.now i read that the powersupply is like a wall outlet in the sense that it doesnt use all the power(meaning a bigger one wont fry me all to ****)

also i would like a tv tuner that supports my full resolution and is compatible with windows7(so far i havent seen any that are known out of the box..i have to do things to make em work.now moddin hardware i have no problem with..but software ill be super iffy to try that)

mods for the future in order(i would like yalls recomendation
graphics card[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339]Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards[/URL]

powersupply unsure of how much i need.i know with the card at least 550w but i want to add more stuff to my computer later.probally a bit more ram.a blue ray player.tv tuner.and graphics card..so iuno how much all that will drain

tv tuner

and as for upping the ram do i just add as much as slots i have...or it doesnt work like

like i said.totaly noob here.just learnd from reading.and this is my first build.so be gental.im in no rush to do anything.i goto school so funds are always tight.thanks again for all yalls help <3

Welcome to Tech Forums.

Your computer will only pull what it needs, so getting a powerful PSU isn't going to fry anything.

Here's a better video card than the 9800GTX+
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Here's a solid PSU to go along with it, should be more than enough for what you need:

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

If you want to upgrade your ram, you have to make sure its compatible, and that it matches your other sticks. Your computer supports DDR3 memory. It looks like you have 6gb's of memory, which is way more than you'll need. But if you want to upgrade to 8GBs to utilize dual-channel memory, you can buy a 2gb stick and add it. I'm assuming you have 1 slot free here, but please check to make sure.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G - Desktop Memory

That should work on your computer; its rated at 1.5 volts, and i'm not sure what your other ram sticks are rated at, so make sure that they'll work together first before buying.

Tuner card, can't help there.

Good Luck.

One thing I want to point out for aliasaid is that while the ATI 5770 he posted is $30 more than the 9800 GTX+ you selected... It's performance difference is well worth the $30 extra.

You see the 9800 GTX+ is based on the 8800 card series, or the "G80" GPU as it's called by Nvidia...
That was created back in 2006, now the 9800 GTX+ was released in 2008, but Nvidia didn't really change very much, they just gave an old card a new name... So it's a card from technology invented in 2006 essentially...

The 5770 was created and released just last year, so it's newer technology, has much better features, and better overall performance than the 9800 GTX+ and so it is well worth the additional $30. (Excluding any mentions of PhysX of course.)

Welcome to Tech Forums.

Your computer will only pull what it needs, so getting a powerful PSU isn't going to fry anything.

Here's a better video card than the 9800GTX+
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Here's a solid PSU to go along with it, should be more than enough for what you need:

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

If you want to upgrade your ram, you have to make sure its compatible, and that it matches your other sticks. Your computer supports DDR3 memory. It looks like you have 6gb's of memory, which is way more than you'll need. But if you want to upgrade to 8GBs to utilize dual-channel memory, you can buy a 2gb stick and add it. I'm assuming you have 1 slot free here, but please check to make sure.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G - Desktop Memory

That should work on your computer; its rated at 1.5 volts, and i'm not sure what your other ram sticks are rated at, so make sure that they'll work together first before buying.

Tuner card, can't help there.

Good Luck.
how do i find out what volts they are rated at?just pop the case open and look at em?i know they are ddr3 1333 sticks at 2gb each and i have one slot avalible..i noticed they have a 4gb stick.would it be possible to add the 4gb stick at with the same voltage and it still work..or do they all have to be the same "strength" at 2gb

i noticed with the psu that it has the fan on the top.my case doesnt have a hole for it there.does that mean i should look into a different psu than you recomended or a different case for me?

you can go into the bios and check the voltages there. Look for VRAM. That's not too important since even if its rated a bit higher than 1.5 it'll still work. The problem is when you use lower voltages they might not run at sepcified speeds...

Pavilion P6310F Memory - Upgrade HP P6310F Pavilion Computer Memory

Ok well, according to these guys, 1.5v memory is whats compatible with your system.

You COULD add a 4gb stick, buy why? 6GB is already a lot more than you'll need, i only recommended adding a 2gb stick in order to utilize dual channel memory; if you add a 4gb stick, it'll work, but you won't be in dual channel mode. And 10gb of memory is way too much. Generally, they should all be the same size and rated at the same speed; So just get the one 2gb stick.

As for the PSU fan, you'll attach it upside-down; so the fan will be pointing downwards. That's how its supposed to be attached.

you can go into the bios and check the voltages there. Look for VRAM. That's not too important since even if its rated a bit higher than 1.5 it'll still work. The problem is when you use lower voltages they might not run at sepcified speeds...

Pavilion P6310F Memory - Upgrade HP P6310F Pavilion Computer Memory

Ok well, according to these guys, 1.5v memory is whats compatible with your system.

You COULD add a 4gb stick, buy why? 6GB is already a lot more than you'll need, i only recommended adding a 2gb stick in order to utilize dual channel memory; if you add a 4gb stick, it'll work, but you won't be in dual channel mode. And 10gb of memory is way too much. Generally, they should all be the same size and rated at the same speed; So just get the one 2gb stick.

As for the PSU fan, you'll attach it upside-down; so the fan will be pointing downwards. That's how its supposed to be attached.

haha ya i thought of the fan thing after i posted.and what is dual channel mode

also with the video card i know its pci 2.0.i dont have that so i herd it bottle necks.i wont probally be doing crazy gaming but when i do play games id like to run em at high res possible.

..would it be recomened to upgrade my motherboard to a better one.o will the video card be fine for my needs.

if yes what else should i look for when getting a new motherboard

It would only bottleneck if it was a really high-end video card - and even at that, it would be insignificant. So there's no need to buy a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom