how would this rig run bf2? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by dms0813
the 6800gs is a great card, no need to worry if you dont have the cash.
???????????

Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Soft shadows in FEAR suck anyways, I wouldn't run them even if I could. They are much better in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Don't get the 6800GS, its far worse than the 7800GT even. I say you are in good shape with the 7800GT. Im counting on mine to take me into the Vista era when I will build from scratch.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by BandwidthHogg
Soft shadows in FEAR suck anyways, I wouldn't run them even if I could. They are much better in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Don't get the 6800GS, its far worse than the 7800GT even. I say you are in good shape with the 7800GT. Im counting on mine to take me into the Vista era when I will build from scratch.
can you run the soft shadows in chaos theory?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, they are far less demanding than in FEAR. FEAR is terribly inefficient with soft shadows. In order to achieve them, the engine re-renders the shadows multiple times with different intensities so that they will appear to have soft edges. This is why it kills performance so bad.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by BandwidthHogg
Yes, they are far less demanding than in FEAR. FEAR is terribly inefficient with soft shadows. In order to achieve them, the engine re-renders the shadows multiple times with different intensities so that they will appear to have soft edges. This is why it kills performance so bad.
i see .. thanks man!

i noticed your 19" samsung in your sig. is this a good gaming monitor? any ghosting at all? does it have height adjustment? how does it compare to the vx924, or do you know?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Well, no height adjustment. Its pretty good for gaming, although I wouldn't recommend it because its only 16ms. No appearant ghosting, although I'm sure an 8ms or lower would be much smoother. I have to say I am happy with my LCD purchase. I hooked up my 17" CRT a few weeks ago just to verify this, and I don't say I could ever go back.

I say go for the VX924.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

you will defintely beable to play BF2 on high settings

i have a DFI UT NF4 ultra-D
eVGA 7800GT
G.Skill 2*1GB

i play on 1280*1024 everything on high 100% distance AF is 4x, and then there is no other option, i guess i have to do it through like the nvidia drivesr to get AA on 8x i just picked all the settings in the video and went max max max max max max max, woot i love it
Old 12-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati

well its common sense yes it would run that game maxed out.
i run the game at 1280/1024 6xAA 8xAF with a x850xt with fps at about 35-85 ive also got a little overclock on my video card its actually pushed as far as it goes, lol but the OC helps me about 4-7 fps

bf2 really isnt to video card demanding seeing is its graphics are a bit cheese ball lol. its really wanting a bunch of fast memory like 2 gigs preferbly dual channel, i run bf2 with all the graphics on high accept textures, (medium) if on hi i see hella memory lag, because the game is using up my whole gig. but your system should smack bf2 upside the head, and fear should run nicely also
Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

to give me an idea of the the potential of my card vs the gtx, do i have any chance of running lost coast, or does the gtx for that matter?

Closed Thread