How SLI work in my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpuga

Baseband Member
I have two GeForce 7300 GT video Card I haven't heard to many bad things about but that is kinds of old but good...

I have a xfx nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard....

there is a option in my computer that said that Nvidia Control panel

Enable SLI technology I don't really see to much difference in my graphics but should it be like "I should work the double better of faster of clear" I don't really know since this is my first build, I only installed halo 1 it works fine but we know that halo 1 don't need that of a graphics card!!

Can some one explain me that difference between working with a one video card or two video card (SLI technology) :confused:

With SLI, you are not going to see doulbe performance. The point at which you start to see the benefits (as far as I have come to understand, reading reviews and whatnot) is that you will see increased performance at increased resolutions. If you are playing at 1024x768 or 1280x1024, then you likely won't see any kind of improvement in performance, unless you turn up all the bells & whistles. Even at that point though, the increase might not be easily discernable from a single card......

And to add on SLI is bascially spliting the screen in half and letting each video card working on its half of the moniter. Crossfire for ATI is
* splitting the screen in half and assigning one half to each card (called "scissoring")
* dividing up the screen into tiles (like a checkerboard) and having one card render the "white" tiles and the other render the "black" tiles
* having each card render alternate frames

So thats why crossfire works better than SLI, sometimes.

pros:
high resolution it will make a huge difference in frames per second.
cons:
you have to buy another card. if you have it already, there are no cons.

Does anyone know the actual performance gain of an SLI setup? I think nvidia advertises it as something like 90% increase or something, but I know it isn't that high...

performance increase of sli is something like 20-30 percent... while ati in some cases i have actually seen it work almost as double performance.. at least w/ the 3870's in cf.. in resolutions such as 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 it gets in the area's of an 80-90 percent increase.. lemme find the charts for you... it shoudl give you a rough idea

its an 8800gt SLi vs. 3870 CF comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom