how often do you format your hd? should I

Status
Not open for further replies.

korky122

In Runtime
my pc is starting to run a little slow, game wise. playing games like americas army and i lag a little. had the game maxed out w/ my 6600gt and no lag. i just installed a new video card and did not do a driver cleaner. dont know how. some other people suggested i format my hd. what do u guys think.

if its just the gaming thats running slow, i'd get rid of all video drivers (e.g. run a driver cleaner) then reinstall the video vard again.

you can download utilities that will get rid of old drivers and what not. search.

molsen said:
if its just the gaming thats running slow, i'd get rid of all video drivers (e.g. run a driver cleaner) then reinstall the video vard again.

you can download utilities that will get rid of old drivers and what not. search.
\

as said...no need to reformat. Remove the old drivers per dirver cleaner and find a copy of Perfect disk and keep that hard drive defragged every week!! You should be good to go!!

Tordenskjold said:
yeh formating is when everythign goes wrong

i format about every 4 months... cuz it is always hittin the fan, but thats probably my own fault :eek:

:)

I havent reformatted since I bought this mobo a couple of years back.
My OS installation has survived a service pack screwup, a failing SCSI drive, mirroring onto the replacement SCSI drive, mirroring onto my Raptor, several moderate to severe virus/malware infestations, GFX card blowing up....
And still I refuse to reformat! :) theres always a way to fix without reformatting.

Defrag your drive before you install any programs and if possible keep your swap file on another drive or at a fixed size and you'll be fine.

I reformat the PC I use for the Internet about once every 6 weeks, maybe 2 months. If I pick anything up that resembles spyware or viruses, I don't even run cleaner programs. In goes the WinXP CD! :D Luckily, this PC is old enough for it to be completely plug 'n play, so no extra drivers needed! When I'm done with the setup, it runs perfectly!

I always end up formating at least one of my HDDs or HDD Partritions at least once a month for one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom