How much would this cost me? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default How much would this cost me?

It's been a while since I've built a computer. I'm currently running a 1800 Mhz AMD xp, radeon 9500 pro, 512 mb ddr333 (was originally a gig, but one of the sticks got corrupted), and it's starting to show it's age in computer games.

I'm looking for something that I can use for gaming, and heavy photoshopping/digital photography. I want to be able to run AOE3, and the new Unreal Tournament when it comes out. I usually run things at max settings on 1024x768. I'm not a bit graphics junkie and running the game smoothly is more important than running it looking very nice, but I want it to be powerful enough to last me for a while.

Also, I recently realized the 20gb hardrive I use for my operating system is ata100, rather than the ata133 I thought it was. Would I get a significant/noticable improvement if I switched that to a serial ata 150?

I already have a case, monitor, etc, so all I need is a mobo/processor/ram/videocard/powersupply. The computer I'm using now cost me $600 to build, and at the time was able to run everything at 1600x1200 at max settings. Doesn't seem like $600 is a realistic budget anymore :/

Anyhoo, suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

MSI K8N motherboard
AMD 3200+ Venice core
OCZ, Crucial, Kingston, Geil, or PQi DDR400
eVga 6600GT or 6800GS video card

Yes, you will notice a bit of a difference with SATA

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread