How much powersource does this card need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeguru

Solid State Member
I'm trying to get the best video card that will fit in my mother's computer which only has an AGP slot but I'm worried that since it's one of the premade deals it's got a horrible powersource. I'm going to look in there later but what is a sufficient power source to safely use a geforce 6600 256MB card? Or even a geforce 7000 512MB AGP card if anyone knows...

Codeguru

Why did you even bother responding if thats all your going to say? Anyways, a fortron 400w should be fine assuming your not running anything else top of the line.

maybe because he doesnt need a new psu, i hate noobs who challenge the higher end people in tf

maybe because he doesnt need a new psu, i hate noobs who challenge the higher end people in tech forums

Are you kidding me? Not only was I not challenging you (which I wouldn't be afraid to do). Your post was absolutely worthless, if you think he might not need a new PSU (which I have no idea how you would know, being that he hasn't said much about his build) then thats all you needed to say.

Chill out ladies, if you are gonna try to fight through text, you are truly stupid.

im not fighting, hes just being offensive, my post makes perfect sense, right j12?
Peter, how old are you? You sound like you want j12 to take sides with you, as if this is a preschool war or something. The guy calls a power supply a powersource, so there's probably a really good chance that he doesn't even know what amp or that whole post meant.

Back to topic, if you can, open up your case and tell us the brand, wattage of the power supply or "powersource". If you can too, there should be a chart on there with the voltages and the amp outputs, read out the +12v one
Edit: Oh, and a more than enough sufficient of a power supply one would be a Fortron 400W

maybe because he doesnt need a new psu, i hate noobs who challenge the higher end people in tech forums

- LOL, you're ****ing funny

I'm 10, thank you
Fine, lets pretend that this guys a retard
Heres the definition for retard, its the second one if you can't figure it out

First off, the power source is called a psu (power supply unit) when it is used for computers.
Your keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. is connected to something called a computer tower (case).
It has 6 sides: 5 you can see because one is the bottom.
If you would, refer to your manual and learn how to open your case
When you do so, there will be a small metal power box near the top towards the back.
Theres a label on the box.

Ok take a break, and try to reconcentrate. This might be getting too complicated.

Since you are "INCOMPETENT" with computers, how will you be able to install a graphics card?

Back to the topic: On the label, there should be a small chart with voltages and its amperage rating: the amount of power it can supply at one time.
Depending on the situation, most graphics cards would use a 12v supply line.
As "rx7i2" said, we would like to know what the amperage rating is
the Fortron power supply the people are referring to is this one

For the more visual or illiterate learners, here a picture of a psu and its sticker:
SFfull.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom