How much of a difference would there be in a "true" quad core compared to quad core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How much of a difference would there be in a "true" quad core compared to quad co

Ahhh that makes sense now. I knew the c2d was based off the Pentium M, but didnt realise the M was based off the P3... I should read more...

Re: How much of a difference would there be in a "true" quad core compared to quad co

Ahhh that makes sense now. I knew the c2d was based off the Pentium M, but didnt realise the M was based off the P3... I should read more...

you said completely new, not on the pm

and the Athlon 64 x2 is based on the Athlon 64 which is based on the K7 Opteron which is based on the Athlon XP. Strange how the companies continue their old architures instead of making a whole new one.

and the design process of Kentsfield exacally the same as the Pentium D, two conroes bolted together. nothing wrong with it really but yea :/

Actually pentium D is a P4EE with locked multipliers, and Hyper Threading disabled. So if you have a P4EE you see four cores in task manager.

Actually pentium D is a P4EE with locked multipliers, and Hyper Threading disabled. So if you have a P4EE you see four cores in task manager.

so does that mean the pentium 4 was a step back rofl :)

also for all we know the penryns maybe a huge improvement, i mean, the Core 2 Duo was a 30% faster with less power consumption than a Pentium D

Im guessing not actually that much. The problem is that there are few applications and no games that make use of 4 cores. I think even in games like crysis (which apparently has support for quads) we will only see maybe a 5% gain from using "true" quad cores.

Im sorry dude but your flat out wrong with saying no games use quad core. Supreme Commander utilizes 4 cores, just search it on youtube... this guys gets all 4 of the cores up to like 75% workload on a huge map in Supreme Commander... thats crazy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom