how much of a difference is RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i was planning on getting a Raptor 300GB HDD but now i plan on in the future to RAID 0 my own HDD with another. Question is, how will my RAID 0 be with my HDD compared to a Raptor 300GB one? I thought it was like double the performance since i would be combining both HDDs? Like 14400 rpm? 32MB cache?

It is not doubled but there is an increase in performance. Here is an article with some benches comparing single drives to raid0 arrays with cool graphs and such. If you could find some benches for the raptor you would have a nice comparison.

Yes very true.

But, if you are using it for non-essential items that can be restored easily such as OS and programs the performance increase is worth it. When you double the chances of loosing data it goes from .88% to 1.66%

Now never ever have important data on a raid0 array and no matter what you have your data on be it raid5 or single drive always back up your important data.

But, when you raid0 two raptors it is very fast.

Its not quite twice as fast, but put it this way. I used to have to old 80GB Barracudas in RAID 0, and it was faster than my new 500GB 7200.11 drive. I was actually very dissapointed. So 2 raptors would be extremely quick, but as the others said, only use it for OS and apps.

my friend Difolo is gonna RAID 0 his two Raptor 300GBs once he gets a EVGA x58 mobo and 6GB of RAM. Should he not have Vista Ultimate on any of them? He also has an internal 1TB 32MB cache 7200 Seagate HDD to back up his data.

if i had the cash i probably would set it up, but im happy with the speeds of my seagate 7200.10 and wd s had tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom