How long will the 3700+ last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, ya he's already activated it, but it'll be good for 30 days, which'll give me enough time to get a paycheck and buy my own :) ... so impatient...

When you buy your copy of Windows XP, use RockXP to change your cd key so you can use that key when you activate.

You don't need to buy your own copy of XP...just call Microsoft when you try to activate it and tell them that you're putting it on a new computer, they'll give you the override code and it'll be activated. You're allowed to use it on more than one computer in your house.

Heh, I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but I thought the 3700+ could use a bit more support. Basically, unlike whats been said in this thread, the 3700+ still has A LOT of life left in it. Yea, a Dual Core that costs $100 more is going to last longer, but if you're looking to spend $100 less (and still get higher clockspeeds >_<) then the 3700+ is an excellent choice. It can handle anything thrown at it without problems, and it will be able to keep up with the GeForce 8s far into their lifetime. The advantages of a Dual Core are currently non-existent. Games utilizing both cores won't come out for a LONG time (6-8 months, or more). So you're paing $100 more for something that you wont use for the better part of the year. Not only that, but the 3700+ can overclock as well as, if not past the Opteron 165. You said before that you wouldn't be "overclocking the h3ll out of anything." Well, you'll have to or the Opteron is practically pointless. So to recap, you're paying $100 more for something you won't use for atleast half the year, something that has a lower clockspeed, and something that you could get the gaming performance out of for $100 less...Not very smart if you ask me.

Dual Cores are great. Just not that great right now. I'm more than happy with my FX-55-like 3200+, so a 3700+ will almost definately get to FX-57 speeds.

You're going to tell me that a FX-57 won't be able to keep up with GeForce 8s?

Save the money and put it towards a 7800GT or something instead. I would recommend against a 2nd 6800GS.

Flanker said:
Heh, I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but I thought the 3700+ could use a bit more support. Basically, unlike whats been said in this thread, the 3700+ still has A LOT of life left in it. Yea, a Dual Core that costs $100 more is going to last longer, but if you're looking to spend $100 less (and still get higher clockspeeds >_<) then the 3700+ is an excellent choice. It can handle anything thrown at it without problems, and it will be able to keep up with the GeForce 8s far into their lifetime. The advantages of a Dual Core are currently non-existent. Games utilizing both cores won't come out for a LONG time (6-8 months, or more). So you're paing $100 more for something that you wont use for the better part of the year. Not only that, but the 3700+ can overclock as well as, if not past the Opteron 165. You said before that you wouldn't be "overclocking the h3ll out of anything." Well, you'll have to or the Opteron is practically pointless. So to recap, you're paying $100 more for something you won't use for atleast half the year, something that has a lower clockspeed, and something that you could get the gaming performance out of for $100 less...Not very smart if you ask me.

Dual Cores are great. Just not that great right now. I'm more than happy with my FX-55-like 3200+, so a 3700+ will almost definately get to FX-57 speeds.

You're going to tell me that a FX-57 won't be able to keep up with GeForce 8s?

Save the money and put it towards a 7800GT or something instead. I would recommend against a 2nd 6800GS.

Yeah, the 3700+ does have a long life and kicks major butt. But dual core is the future, and that's a fact. Single cores are getting phased out of the scene. He says he wants to have this gaming rig for a long time. So the 6-8 month wait for dual core utilizing games is well worth it compared to having to buy a new processor, and possibly new motherboard, when the switch is made.

Getting a 7800GT would be rather pointless for his system. He already has a 6800GS and is thinking about getting another to SLI. Those together beat the 7800GTX in non SLI.

Dual core is the future. So is quadruple core and octuple core, etc. The thing is that the 3700+ will kick butt in the present and the future. It's going to rip the games apart for longer than the 6-8 months. You have to understand. Just because games begin utilizing 2 cores doesn't mean they won't run on one core. Especially one as powerful as a 3700+.

Ryan

Yeah, it's so stupid when people say buying a dual core for gaming is insurance for the future....guess what...when the future comes, the dual core that you bought for the future will be 1/2 the price when it'll actually be useful. Waste of money for gaming right now. 3700+ is by far the best economical choice for gaming right now and for the next year or so. When games come out that use dual core, then it wont be...and then the dual cores of today will be the same price of the 3700+ of today. Buying for the future and making the best economical choice don't mix.

I would get the 3700+ now...and in two years or so when it probably won't be enough for the top games, then upgrade. By that time, the good dual core opty's will be affordable for everyone.

ahh, this arguement is making it hard for me to decide.... considering 3700+ now, that was my thought the first time... that makes alot of sense, saying that the dual cores will be cheaper later on down the road when the 3700+ actually is loosing control of games... and it would save me 100 bucks. And when i said i didnt wanna overclock the h3ll out of anything, i still wanted to get it to maybe 2.6 or something around that area... i wouldnt consider that massive overclocking after hearing 2.8 and 2.9 on stock cooling.... i think i shall get the 3700, and i get keep the left over and buy ram, while still having extra money... but i shall see, i still have about two weeks before the purchase anyway...

you'd hit 2.6 easily...i'm on stock cooling at 2.8.
Dual 6800GS's isn't too bad an idea...should equal a GTX 256 maybe 512 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom