How to know if thermal paste is applied correctly?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello,

I'm in the process of building a new PC. The CPU cooler I purchased came with thermal paste pre-applied. I was installing it and thought my hand may have been a shaky. Now I'm concerned the thermal paste did not apply correctly - is there any way to know this for sure? I'd imagine I cannot remove the CPU cooler at this point or I'd be forced to re-apply it anyway.

Is there any way to check or do I just have to wait and see if my CPU temp is out of control when I boot my system for the first time?

I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Depending on the cooler you purchased, I would take it off and put something decent on it anyways. Pre-applied past is always way too much and hampers performance rather than helps as it blankets the metal contact.

If your CPU gets too hot when you first boot it'll just shut down no harm done. I wouldn't worry about it either way.

The cooler was a Corsair H100i. Would the problem be noticeable immediately or could it start to overheat over time?

(I'm starting to figure re-applying is the best option regardless.)

Considering the fact that you don't need to overclock and the cooler is exceptionally overkill for the purpose at this point it probably won't make a difference at all. Up to you.

I decided in the end to OC anyway. Is the thermal paste application going to cause any major issues?

Back
Top Bottom