How good are these computers for gaming and are they worth the money? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Lightbulb How good are these computers for gaming and are they worth the money?

These are three computers, one better than the other, I am thinking about buying. Do you think I could put one together myself that's just as good for cheaper, and are the prices shown competitive?

I would put a graphics card in this one:
Link 1: AMD AM3 DUAL Core X2 250 PC 4GB DDR3 1000GB COMPUTER | eBay UK

Link 2: Quad Core HD Gaming Computer PC 1TB 4GB DDR3 ATI 5450 | eBay UK

Link 3: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBOX-GA-FAST-...#ht_6066wt_905

What do you think about them? Thanks!

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB Graphics Card I can put in it.

AMD QUAD CORE 640 8GB DDR3 GAMING PC COMPUTER 2000GB | eBay UK

If not, can you tell me why?

Could I build one for cheaper?

This is my computers specifications, I know it's out of date, but I only want to play World of Warcraft on it.

Compaq-Presario GM274AA-ABU SR5109UK : Geekbench Result Browser

And the graphics card I bought but was not compatible is a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB Graphics Card.

I'm not very good with technology so please give me some advice!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Default Re: How good are these computers for gaming and are they worth the money?

First one is awful, second is meh, third is more meh. Besides, NEVER BUY ELECTRONICS OFF EBAY.

Build your own.

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: How good are these computers for gaming and are they worth the money?

How much would it cost me to build a decent one?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I merged all of your posts into a single post. It will be easier to help you that way.

How much are you willing to spend and then we'll tell you how decent it will be.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not sure, to be honest at the moment I can't really afford above 350 pounds, which I know isn't a lot. I need to save for university.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I basically want a PC to play WOW on, so I obviously don't want to buy a real top of the range one, upgrading the one I have now would be easier. It can't support the graphics card as I say.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

So you've got about $575 USD unless my math is way off.

You can build something decent with that if you can re-use some of your old parts. In my last build I kept my old case/optical drives/HDD/monitor. The key is to re-use old parts that wont have compatibility issues. Most of the ones I listed rarely will.

If you're able to do that, you only need a Mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM. That is EASILY done for under $550.

Edit: Some examples may be...

5770 GPU (like $115)
AM3 board (maybe 75)
4GB DDR3 RAM (75-100)
Phenom 965 x4 (130)

See, that comes out to just over $500 USD and that would easily max WoW settings.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can I just get a motherboard that will support a graphics card and is compatible? I have no idea what I'd need.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Easy answer is not really. The Compaq you have now unfortunately is very low end on the specs. 1.2ghz dual core with 1GB of RAM...

The CPU alone wont be able to handle WoW at good settings, not to mention 1GB of RAM is on the low end as well. Bottom line is if you want to play WoW at mid-high specs you're going to need to replace all key components (minus the GPU you already have).

The specs I listed you could buy for under your price range (400ish without the GPU) are 3-4x better than what you have in your Compaq now.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, thanks :S

Closed Thread