How does one setup RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaTTaFaKKaP

TY, May I have another?
Hi, I'm noobi :) I just read the wiki article on RAID but I couldn't find out how to setup a RAID, I don't own any extra hardrives yet so this is not of utter importance, just wondering if anyone knows like a tutorial website for for to setup RAID

on Vista or XP, it'll tell you to insert a floppy drive or removable drive to install the drivers, but first go to ur BIOS and set it in RAID, then install, it on your system (it'll ask you what you want) and it'll install

That's very vague vernong.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Make the RAID driver diskette, by putting the RAID drivers on a floppy disk.
2. Install the hard drives needed for the RAID level you are going to do.
3. Go into the RAID setup menu via BIOS.
4. Set the RAID level you want.
5. Set CD as first boot priority, save settings, and reboot.
6. Insert the Windows CD.
7. At the blue screen, look at the bottom for a message, saying to install any third party RAID drivers. Press F6.
8. Follow instructions on installing the RAID drivers.
9. Then just continue on, installing Windows as usual.

It may vary between different motherboards, but those are the very basic steps on how to setup RAID.

lol now that i reread it... it does seem vague.. i guess i need to organize my thoughts and what I type better... but ur install guide is better...

whatre the different types of raid? i mean, i know there is raid 0, 1, 5???? and probably others, but i dont know what they mean/do. can anyone explain all the different types pls?

whatre the different types of raid? i mean, i know there is raid 0, 1, 5???? and probably others, but i dont know what they mean/do. can anyone explain all the different types pls?

off the top of my head:

common ones: 5, 1, 0, 0+1

not common ones: 10, 3, 4 ( i think theres a RAID 50) but b1gapl.. i think ur link is broken... or my PC is timing out on the site load...

That's very vague vernong.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Make the RAID driver diskette, by putting the RAID drivers on a floppy disk.
2. Install the hard drives needed for the RAID level you are going to do.
3. Go into the RAID setup menu via BIOS.
4. Set the RAID level you want.
5. Set CD as first boot priority, save settings, and reboot.
6. Insert the Windows CD.
7. At the blue screen, look at the bottom for a message, saying to install any third party RAID drivers. Press F6.
8. Follow instructions on installing the RAID drivers.
9. Then just continue on, installing Windows as usual.

It may vary between different motherboards, but those are the very basic steps on how to setup RAID.

sweet i'll have to remember this when i install XP. i think evga gave me a floppy for the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom