How does this build sound?

BetaRunnerAlpha

Beta member
I am going to create a new build since my Pentium 4 build is KILLING ME. This one is aimed mostly for storage and smoother process handling. How does it look?

Case: Raidmax tornado

PSU: Apevia Warlock 750w (for the color features)

CPU: AMD FX 4100

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

RAM: Corsair XMS3 1333mhz 8gb

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB

Video card: GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3

What exactly do you mean by "smoother process handling"? There is a lot I disagree with this rig from the start.

By that I mean, I don't want it to freeze when I try to watch a video.
My current computer is ages old, and it's time to upgrade.
As long as this build works and can handle everything alright, that's all I need.

Well there is room for improvement. For instance, the PSU. Aesthetics are one thing, but when you plug a decently powered PC into a crap PSU you have a 50/50 chance of the PSU going pop and taking out everything you just dumped money into.

Next, I would drop the FX and 6670 and get an A10 5800k:
Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

And get this board instead:
Newegg.com - ASUS F2A55-M/CSM FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I would also recommend 8GB of DDR3 1600 instead.

This PSU is about 10x better in quality compared to the Apevia you want. In case you want, later on you can also use up to a GTX 670 on it.
Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

With money saved, I suggest getting a Black WD instead. If you're upgrading, might as well make it worth it, and last as well due to quality parts.

Since the CPU is an APU it comes with a 7660 in it so you don't need a GPU, but you can add a dedicated card that is better later if you like.

Well there is room for improvement. For instance, the PSU. Aesthetics are one thing, but when you plug a decently powered PC into a crap PSU you have a 50/50 chance of the PSU going pop and taking out everything you just dumped money into.

Next, I would drop the FX and 6670 and get an A10 5800k:
Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

And get this board instead:
Newegg.com - ASUS F2A55-M/CSM FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I would also recommend 8GB of DDR3 1600 instead.

This PSU is about 10x better in quality compared to the Apevia you want. In case you want, later on you can also use up to a GTX 670 on it.
Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

With money saved, I suggest getting a Black WD instead. If you're upgrading, might as well make it worth it, and last as well due to quality parts.

Since the CPU is an APU it comes with a 7660 in it so you don't need a GPU, but you can add a dedicated card that is better later if you like.

Haha, the Apevia Warlock has 4 stars on Newegg, and 4 1/2 on Amazon. The PSU you provided also has 4 stars, so I wouldn't quite call it a "crap PSU".
Newegg.com - APEVIA WARLOCK POWER ATX-WA750W 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

In addition, the motherboard you provided only has 3 stars on Newegg, the motherboard I posted has 4 stars and over 70 more reviews...and it's cheaper...
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

As for the RAM, I'm just looking for something cheap. I will upgrade to 1600mhz once I see how decently it handles 1333mhz.

As for the processor, it was a gift from a friend so I can't change it.

Stars on Newegg are about as retarded as the reviews that follow them honestly. They are regular people giving sub-standard opinions on product they hardly know anything about.

You should Google exactly how the quality of a power supply effects the components they power. Now Google Seasonic and Google Apevia. Here, I'll do it for you. One of the best power supply testers around testing not the 750, but the 900w version of this unit.
Apevia Warlock Power 900W Review

Needless to say, the 900 is terrible, and the 750 will be worse. Still want to buy a low quality PSU? Not to mention, the Seasonic already has 2 things over the Apevia. 1, it's modular, 2, it carries 80% Bronze rating. The 12v rails on the 520w Seasonic unit almost puts off the same amount of amps as the Apevia 750w unit. That should tell you something there.

To the motherboard, it's cheaper for a reason. Because it's super cheap junk meant to give you video on the screen. Then if you ever have a problem with the board, good luck getting real help from Gigabyte and don't forget the act of congress it takes to get an RMA. Their top dollar X79 boards are terrible, so I wouldn't put any cash into their lower end boards. I have 4 Gigabyte boards here BTW, I speak from experience.
These 2 boards are the same price, and come with a better chipset.
Newegg.com - ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - MSI 880GMS-E41 (FX) AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

This is 4 dollars more than XMS3 1333......
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C11

Not trying to be rude here, just giving an informed post to make sure you get decent hardware rather than go by "Newegg star rating". You did ask how the build sounds.

Not trying to be rude here, just giving an informed post to make sure you get decent hardware rather than go by "Newegg star rating". You did ask how the build sounds.

when i build computers i just organize by "top rating " for each component and get whatever is on the top...

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom