How does this build look?

CJxShoTz

Baseband Member
GIGABYTE GA-H87M-HD3 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard With UEFI BIOS
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H87M-HD3 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard With UEFI BIOS
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY8GX3M2A1866C9 (Silver)

Does everything look compatible here? I'm hoping to get atleast 5+ years of high or very high performance out of this rig., how do you think it stacks up. My budget is strictly $600.

Drop the 4670k to the lower model, and drop the H87 to a B85. Then drop the 1866 RAM for 1600 since you don't need any faster. This should give you enough cash to grab a 760 which is significantly faster.

5+ years of high or very high? No. You would need more like a 780 or Titan for that, even more realistically for 5+. The way games handle processing, multithreading, and GPGPU decompression is about to change greatly in the next 2 or so years.

You also need to make sure you have a quality PSU.

Drop the 4670k to the lower model, and drop the H87 to a B85. Then drop the 1866 RAM for 1600 since you don't need any faster. This should give you enough cash to grab a 760 which is significantly faster.

5+ years of high or very high? No. You would need more like a 780 or Titan for that, even more realistically for 5+. The way games handle processing, multithreading, and GPGPU decompression is about to change greatly in the next 2 or so years.

You also need to make sure you have a quality PSU.

Why drop to the lower CPU? Also have read that Gigabyte B series is very low quality and bad parts. Faster ram is better, no?

Ah, your point is to save money for the better GPU. However I do not want to skimp on the processor because I also run multiple apps and tab between multiple things games, websites, apps.

Last edited:
1. To save money. For gaming, even the i5 3330 is fine, which is a generation lower. Even my older i5 750 is fine for gaming. It's more cost effective to buy a cheaper chip that does the exact same thing.

2. Don't buy Gigabyte period anyways. All of their boards practically suck these days. Get an ASRock or MSI B75.

3. No. There are no gains over 1600 unless your chip is highly overclocked, and even then it's only seen in specific synthetic benchmarks. The IMCs in the Core i series are extremely efficient.

1. To save money. For gaming, even the i5 3330 is fine, which is a generation lower. Even my older i5 750 is fine for gaming. It's more cost effective to buy a cheaper chip that does the exact same thing.

2. Don't buy Gigabyte period anyways. All of their boards practically suck these days. Get an ASRock or MSI B75.

3. No. There are no gains over 1600 unless your chip is highly overclocked, and even then it's only seen in specific synthetic benchmarks. The IMCs in the Core i series are extremely efficient.

Haha the portion of what you're saying directly contradicts my research. Everything I read says that ASrock and MSI are lower quality and Asus and gigabytes are the better boards.

Well you can buy what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you otherwise. Considering ASRock is in the top 3 sellers along with Gigabyte and Asus, I'd say they don't make ****ty parts. Oh yea, and considering everybody who has bought one here under my recommendation have liked their boards.....yea. Buy what you want, but with dealing with Gigabyte's boards for 6 years now I think I know a thing or two about them. Asus alike.
Another thing, I don't recommend junk. I wouldn't have spent money on ASRock boards if I thought they were junk. The OC Formula wouldn't have held the OC world record for so long if they were junk. MSI happened to have been the ones to take that record recently. Don't even get me started on Asus. Should I continue?

Back
Top Bottom