How does this build look? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default How does this build look?

Probably ordering parts in the next two weeks. How does everything look?

Burner: Newegg.com - LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model GSA-H42N-BK - OEM

Case: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Computer Case - Retail

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Monitor: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HX-192RPB Black 19" 2ms LCD Monitor Built in Speakers - Retail

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail

Keyboard: Newegg.com - Microsoft Black Basic Keyboard and Mouse - OEM

Mouse: Newegg.com - Logitech Green & White Optical Mouse - Retail

Headset:Newegg.com - ALTEC LANSING AHS322 Supra-aural Stereo Headset - Retail

Thermal paste: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-1 Thermal Compound - Retail

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Video Card: Newegg.com - EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320-P2-N815-AR HDCP Video Card - Retail

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor - Retail

With shipping, it comes out to $1665....alot of money. Want to make sure everything is right...

Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: How does this build look?

I would get a Corsair 520W PSU instead. It'll turn out cheaper then that Antec ($10 MIR and free shipping) and you can't beat it.
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly

Also, switch the RAM out with this. These usually cost around $200 but there's a sale or something. It's quite a bit better for only $15 more.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Rest looks good unless you want to get a SATA DVD-RW instead. You won't have to use that big airflowing restricting IDE cable.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Can I use that RAM? It is 2.0 -2.1 voltage and my mobo says it needs 1.8 whcih is what the other is....
Old 03-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

Everything looks good but if you are overclocking you are going o need something better than the stock cooler. Anyway I would not get that mouse as for only 10 bucks more or so this is one of the best gaming mouses ever made.

Newegg.com - Logitech MX310 Black&White Mouse - Retail

For the ram It should work as the new revisions were made but just in case This RAM is really sick for the same price and works on 965 chipsets first try. Worked on mine.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Do you really need 2ms response time on monitor? 2ms is overkill and you won't tell the difference from 8ms. I would get the Hanns G 19inch wide 5ms for 170 bucks as I own one and it's amazing.

EDIT: I also agree with getting the Corsair PSU as it's pretty much one of the best you can get. It's watts are a bit low for SLI but you have a DS3 in there meaning I doubt you want SLI. Therefore get the Corsair.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well i'm gunna keep the mouse i picked cuz i have it for my regular computer and it works fine.

Will change the PSU to the corsair one selected.

I think i will keep the RAM the same as what i picked to avoid any possible issues as i'm a little worried since it's my first build.

Will switch to the Hanns G 19" 5ms monitor...

not sure if i want to spend the extra $$$ on a new CPU cooler because i do not plan on overclocking until I need it to be.

Anything else?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

get the cooler now.
because as soon as you get it all together you are going to want to overclock it.
and if you dont have the cooler, you are going to have to wait for it.
and then you will say, "i should have ordered that hsf with all my other stuff, dang".
i am certain the opinions on this matter will be unanimous here on the forums.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Bump...

Gunna stay with all the stuff in the original post except still changing to the Corsair PSU.

cant beat that G.Skill Ram for $140.

Should be ordering monday...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumtiger View Post
Bump...

Gunna stay with all the stuff in the original post except still changing to the Corsair PSU.

cant beat that G.Skill Ram for $140.

Should be ordering monday...
You might consider getting the power supply from Buy.com. After rebate, the final price is $89.99 with free shipping. If you use the $10 for new Google Checkout accounts, your final price would be $79.99.

Buy.com - Corsair HX520W 520w SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX

Closed Thread