How do I switch games to a different hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I just bought another hard drive since my original is just about full. I want to take all the games from my orginal hard drive and put them on the new hard drive. Any easy way to do this besides uninstalling them all and installing them to the new hard drive?

I don't believe so, some people have said that you can copy all the game files over then run a registry patch program to "tie" the games back to the windows registry. But I think you get a lot of bugs doing that.

optimal would be to back-up save games then reinstall to the other drive. :(

5 minutes?? You must have HD's from 10 years in the future. Took me 20 minutes just to install Gears of War. No no, this will be more than a few hours to reinstall all my games for me. Plus the ones that I uninstalled so I could install the new ones. DOH! I really was hoping there was a simpler way.

That is one disadvantage of gaming on the PC, better load times when running off of the hard-drive. But requires Installs/uninstalls.

I just move the game folder to the other HDD and when I click on the shortcut to the game it ask me to locate the .exe file, so i look in the folder on the new HDD and click on the .exe. No problems for me.

Ya, gears of war takes forever to install. At least its all on one dvd instead of having to switch disks. But you SHOULD be able to just move the game folder to the new disk, and then just run the .exe from the folder on the new disk. It worked for me for most of my games.

If their ideas don't work then you can try this. What I do when I transfer games from one PC to another is I copy all of the files and then search the registry for all of the registry files for that game. Export them and double click them on the new hard drive. Works for me. Though the same registry is used so I don't know why you can't just copy it over. Unless the registry refers to your local drive. (Maybe C: ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom