How do I set up RAID with Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouldeeves

Baseband Member
First of all I am a full on RAID n00b. I have built many PCs in my time and without any problems but I have never attempted running HDDs in RAID.

I am doing an i7 build for my dad and, while he wont be using it for gaming or overclocking, he needs it to be speedy and responsive, and also wants it to be fairly high spec for some time to come. I am going to be using an Asus P6T SE motherboard with intel raid controllers and an Intel core i7 930. I am planning on getting a Samsung F3 1TB or an F3 500gb depending on whether I will be setting up RAID0 or RAID1. He will be running windows 7 home premium 32bit.

If I set up RAID0 I will get two of the 500gb HDDs, but if I go for RAID1 I will get two 1TB hard drives, I am more likely to take the RAID0 option so please assume this when considering my questions. I understand how I need to connect them up (using SATA 0 and SATA 1 etc..) but after that it all gets a bit fuzzy. I know that I will need to enter the BIOS and change the setting from IDE to RAID and then open the RAID menu when it POSTS to configure it as either RAID0 or RAID1 and choose your drives but then it all seems to get a bit confusing. How do I then install Windows on it? Will I need to make a floppy/memory stick with some files on it to configure it properly? Do I need to make partitions (not actually quite sure why I would)?? And also would it then just appear as if it was one HDD?

Finally would it be too difficult to set up RAID10 (the one where you have RAID0 and RAID1 with 4 HDDs)?

Any help would be really great as this is new and uncharted territory for me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom