How do I reformat my hard drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default How do I reformat my hard drive?

Ok I got a crap load of viruses and spywear within two days of getting my new computer. So I just reinstalled windows. I choose the "new install" option not the repair option. So I ran a new virus scan and adwear scan with my new version of Windows. The anti virus and anti spywear program is still detecting viruses and spywear and its detecting them in files that existed with the first Windows install but not the second. SO that tells me that Windows did not delete the old files on the hard drive when I reintalled windows. So I a going to do it myself. When I was running the Windows installer it game me the option to delete hard drive partitions. I only have one partition and its the whole hard drive. I tried to delete it but it said I could not delete the partition because it contained files required for Windows the Windows installation. So how do I reformat the whole hard drive and start from scratch?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

heres how I do it. Restart windows and put the os cd in. Boot from cd. Delete partition then create a new one (better to make two partitions one for os and important files, and the other for the rest of your ****). Format the partition your instaling windows on, instal windows, boot instal drivers etc. Then the other you can just format in windows if you like.

Memory - OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB)
Video - BFG 8800 GTX OC
DVD - LG Super Multi
HD - WD Raptor 36gb
HD2 - Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250gb
PSU - Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
Case - Cooler Master Centurion 5
Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Like I already said I cant. I do not have any partitions. The whole hard drive is one partition. When I try to delete it it says it can’t because it contains files required for Windows to finish installation. There is one other partition but its only 8 MB so I failed to say it originally.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by SPL Tech
Like I already said I cant. I do not have any partitions. The whole hard drive is one partition. When I try to delete it it says it can’t because it contains files required for Windows to finish installation. There is one other partition but its only 8 MB so I failed to say it originally.
Are you sure your booting off the CD, and not running it in windows? Make sure you BOOT from the CD and there should be no problem deleting the partition.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

if you have to, just put the HD in another computer as a slave, and reformat it. Then it will br blank.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Heres what I usto do, you need a floppy drive. Find a program called KILLDISK. This will completly delete everything on your hard drive. Then you just put the Windows CD in and install a fresh copy. I have since found better formatting software. Search the internet for some software.
Windows 7
Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

might have to go into your bios and change the boot device priority from hdd to whatever disc drive you have

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz | Zalman CNPS9500 | DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | eVGA 7900GT KO SC | Zalman VF700 | 2 x 1GB Gskill PC 4000 | 2 x WD 320 GB HDD\'s | Audigy2 ZS | Logitech X-530s | Saitek Eclipse | Tsunami Dream
Closed Thread