How do I reformat my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
Ok I got a crap load of viruses and spywear within two days of getting my new computer. So I just reinstalled windows. I choose the "new install" option not the repair option. So I ran a new virus scan and adwear scan with my new version of Windows. The anti virus and anti spywear program is still detecting viruses and spywear and its detecting them in files that existed with the first Windows install but not the second. SO that tells me that Windows did not delete the old files on the hard drive when I reintalled windows. So I a going to do it myself. When I was running the Windows installer it game me the option to delete hard drive partitions. I only have one partition and its the whole hard drive. I tried to delete it but it said I could not delete the partition because it contained files required for Windows the Windows installation. So how do I reformat the whole hard drive and start from scratch?

heres how I do it. Restart windows and put the os cd in. Boot from cd. Delete partition then create a new one (better to make two partitions one for os and important files, and the other for the rest of your ****). Format the partition your instaling windows on, instal windows, boot instal drivers etc. Then the other you can just format in windows if you like.

Like I already said I cant. I do not have any partitions. The whole hard drive is one partition. When I try to delete it it says it canÂ’t because it contains files required for Windows to finish installation. There is one other partition but its only 8 MB so I failed to say it originally.

SPL Tech said:
Like I already said I cant. I do not have any partitions. The whole hard drive is one partition. When I try to delete it it says it canÂ’t because it contains files required for Windows to finish installation. There is one other partition but its only 8 MB so I failed to say it originally.
Are you sure your booting off the CD, and not running it in windows? Make sure you BOOT from the CD and there should be no problem deleting the partition.

Heres what I usto do, you need a floppy drive. Find a program called KILLDISK. This will completly delete everything on your hard drive. Then you just put the Windows CD in and install a fresh copy. I have since found better formatting software. Search the internet for some software.

might have to go into your bios and change the boot device priority from hdd to whatever disc drive you have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom