How do I manually set ram timings and voltage in BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blayez

Baseband Member
I am about to purchase 2x2gb sticks of Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory but I have a few questions first. A couple of the reviews say that the ram performs excellent, but the correct timings were not automatically detected by their computers (it is suppose to be 4-4-4-15 and 2.1V).

If this happens to me, I need to ensure I know how to manually change this and make sure that my motherboard will allow me to manually configure the settings.

I use the nForce4 SLI Edition Chipset. Also, I plan on running SLI Cards, and I see that certain brands of ram say "SLI Ready". What does this mean? Are only certain types of Ram capable of running alongside of an SLI config? Will this ram work well with an SLI config?

The SLI ready labeling is more of seller for performance memory. You could have 4gb of value ram and still run an SLI setup while not seeing the performance value.

When in the bios go into the advanced or advanced chipset section and look for the cpu settings. Once you highlight that and press enter a new screen will come up where the dram timings can manually be set by then entering that next section. This will illustrate how that will look.

MEMORY -- CLOCK ---FREQ

AUTO OR MANUALLY SET TO DDR2 800
TLC -- [4]
TRCD -- [4]
TRP -- [4]
TRAS -- [15]

For 1T, 2T, or AUTO setting or leaving that at auto will prevent a possible need to clear the cmos if you choose the wrong one. That was seen when setting the board here to 1T while it requires 2T. Some boards use the 1T setting.

Once you have those set you press the ESC(escape) key to back out to the main screen and choose the save + exit option to see the settings remembered once the system restarts. Sometimes the F10 key method to exit and save isn't reliable depending on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom