How do i know how much CPU my mobo can handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizike_dee

Beta member
i currently have a VIA VT8367-8235 and i want to upgrade my processor but i don't wanna pay for something only to have it NOT work.. i know it's kind of an old motherboard but i wanna just upgrade it as is without spending TOO much money, my current processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 2.06GHz.. not good at all.

Given that your current CPU is an Athlon 2600+ there's not much you can do. The fastest socket CPU made was the 3200+ which isn't that big of a jump from where you are.

Define "too much money" for us. What would be your potential budget? Here's a decent upgrade for $140:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
$62

Newegg.com - Foxconn A74ML-K AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$40

Newegg.com - PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-2GDB
$38

If you want to add a graphics card you will need a power supply, too, since your current one is probably 250W at best. The motherboard I linked to has HD 2100 onboard graphics so it will function without a GFX card, but gaming would be out of the question.

Yea Trotter is right there isn't much you can do if you don't upgrade the motherboard and if your budget is decent enough you could get what Trotter has suggested for you or you could throw in a few more bucks and get something a little better. But your mobo and processor are so old... a few days ago I took apart a computer that has an AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Not much of an upgrade and the pins are bent and its only worth like 20 bucks so spare 200 bucks and you could get yourself a nice setup.

Given that your current CPU is an Athlon 2600+ there's not much you can do. The fastest socket CPU made was the 3200+ which isn't that big of a jump from where you are.

Define "too much money" for us. What would be your potential budget? Here's a decent upgrade for $140:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
$62

Newegg.com - Foxconn A74ML-K AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$40

Newegg.com - PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-2GDB
$38

If you want to add a graphics card you will need a power supply, too, since your current one is probably 250W at best. The motherboard I linked to has HD 2100 onboard graphics so it will function without a GFX card, but gaming would be out of the question.
so you would recommend just buying all those? because that's not much at ALL... and i AM a gamer... my current comp can run killling floor, portal, counter strike and other not very demanding games... these are my system specs (and a 300 watt power supply) i am also looking to get a new video card.. could you recommend one to go with the other gear you recommended? and if needed i'd get a new power supply...

(system specs..) D-A-L Computer Hardware Scan Results

i just wanna be able to run modern games... (L4D... mass effect 2... fallout 3...) and i don't even know where to begin because i'm so used to dealing with outdated technology... and if that stuff you recommended will work well in gaming as long as i add a nice-ish GPU then i'm okay with that i don't want like TOP OF THE LINE... i just want it to do what i want...

*EDIT*
hmm.. budget... well if i can stay under 300 for a decent upgrade i'll be happy... but i'd be willing to go up to like 400-500.... (teenager so low budget... haha)

I think I can help you out here man... so here is what I can suggest for your budget.

Motherboard: $45
MSI 785GTM-E45 Motherboard - AMD 785G, Socket AM2+, M-ATX, DDR2, Dual Channel, PCIe, HDMI at TigerDirect.com

CPU: $140 This processor is very good for the motherboard and even though you are paying a bit more you will have the power to run these games you want.
AMD HDZ940XCJ4DGI Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Deneb, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, Unlocked Multiplier, OEM CPU at TigerDirect.com

Memory: $50
Kingston 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) at TigerDirect.com

PSU: $35 You will need a new power supply.
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500-Watt Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

GPU: $50
PNY VCG951024GXEB GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual DVI, SLI Ready at TigerDirect.com

Now I am assuming your motherboard is a micro atx and that what the one I provided you with is so it should fit in your case but if you do need a new case reply and tell me because I can find you a very good one for a very low price.

Hope this helps man.

newegg is a better site to shop from, better prices and from what i've heard, better customer support. also, that wouldn't be a very good gaming rig with a 9500gt, and you would need to pay extra for a cooler since the cpu is oem.

adding to Trotter's build, you could get this psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

and as far as a gfx card for gaming, i would say either atleast a 4670.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

or for some more money, a 4850.
Newegg.com - ASUS CuCore Series EAH4850 CUCORE TOP/2DI/1GD3 Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

then besides that, you could reuse your current hdd and optical drive but i'm not sure about your case. this one would be a good budget case.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I went with an mATX board so the old case could be reused in need be. I know what its like to have very limited funds to upgrade with. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom