How do I "increase" the size of one of the partitions on my HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I desperately need some help in understanding how to increase the size of a partition on my HD.

Here's the deal:

I installed a WD 596 GB hard drive and partitioned it as follows:

C drive: [150 GB- Windows 7 + Misc, and all is good]
E drive: [122 GB- Itunes [but this partition is nearly maxed out with ONLY 6gb's left].
F drive: [122 GB and almost nothing on it]
G drive: [205 GB and almost nothing on it]

Ok, here's my question: how can I increase the partition size of drive E by adding some of the storage space from drive F or drive G? [BTW, I constantly am downloading new Ipod casts for my Ipod and these podcasts are being saved upon Drive E]!

I would appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks,

Soar

First off, i dont understand why you would make that many partitions if you knew downloading so much would fill a 122GB partition easy.

Secondly, its risky but you can try Partition Magic to try and merge those empty partitions with the E drive partition.

First off, i dont understand why you would make that many partitions if you knew downloading so much would fill a 122GB partition easy.

Secondly, its risky but you can try Partition Magic to try and merge those empty partitions with the E drive partition.

PP Mguire, First off, when I built/set up this computer, I never imagined I would be downloading so many podcasts, nor did I ever imagine the podcasts would take up so much room. So I suppose we can call that short sightedness on my part.

Second, I was hoping I could find someone here that could give me clear, concise, and specific directions [not guess work] on how to merge one of my other partitions with the "E" drive rather than someone who just likes to criticize and give guess work.

Is there anyone else out here that can help me?

I suppose one of my options would be to simply copy all the podcasts to an external HD, then reformat two or three of the partitions using Gparted Live, making them one partition, and then transfer all the podcasts back to the internal HD.

Mak, are you out here and could you confirm whether or not this would work?

Soar

Well, you can use the disk management, but whatever you use, you'll have to shrink the empty drive first, than expand the empty space into the the one you want. Its just a nerve racking right clicking on the drive letter.

As stated though, it is quite posible you could loose stuff, but its not that common to loose stuff.

PP Mguire, First off, when I built/set up this computer, I never imagined I would be downloading so many podcasts, nor did I ever imagine the podcasts would take up so much room. So I suppose we can call that short sightedness on my part.

Second, I was hoping I could find someone here that could give me clear, concise, and specific directions [not guess work] on how to merge one of my other partitions with the "E" drive rather than someone who just likes to criticize and give guess work.

Is there anyone else out here that can help me?

I suppose one of my options would be to simply copy all the podcasts to an external HD, then reformat two or three of the partitions using Gparted Live, making them one partition, and then transfer all the podcasts back to the internal HD.

Mak, are you out here and could you confirm whether or not this would work?

Soar
Its not guess work because ive used Partition Magic before, but when i did it was about 4 years ago on an old 200GB drive. Back then, you still had formating to do, but ive seen people suggest Partition Magic to do exactly what you want to do now. All i said is its risky is because using any kind of partition program you take the risk of losing any information on any drive. Geez, whats with people on forums these days getting their panties in a wad?

Re: How to fix my low fps in games such as WoW and lotro?

Carnage, the GParted Tutorial was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks and much appreciated!

Soar

Well, you can use the disk management, but whatever you use, you'll have to shrink the empty drive first, than expand the empty space into the the one you want. Its just a nerve racking right clicking on the drive letter.

As stated though, it is quite posible you could loose stuff, but its not that common to loose stuff.

Patonb, thanks for your reply. I've decided to use GParted Live to rearrange the partitions. I'll also remove all podcasts to an external drive, then reformat the partitions in question using much larger storage spaces, then reinstall the podcasts on a partition that is 400GB's. That should solve the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom