how do i go about getting into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

æArchOAngelæ

Daemon Poster
how do i go about getting into raid 0 and sata and scsi an all that fancy stuff? id like to try somthing new instead of just ide cables. whats better than ide but not very complicated to do? i just want to learn some more about these things, ive read articles that i googled and i have some ideas as to how to go about it but is it as simple as it makes it sound?

I haven't tried it because I did not buy a Sata Drive yet, but theoretically, you plug it in, pop in the drivers, install them, and you're done? Anyone with actual expirience wanna help me out?

SATA is not much different than IDE. Just a different cable & drivers basically. Nothing fancy there.
RAID is simple also - you just need a RAID controller (be it hardware or software). SCSI is likely overkill (expensive) for desktops.

Only thing for SATA is that you have to install the drivers wen intsalling Windows, which, if you miss the prompt just after it starts unpacking files then you have to wait until it can't find your hdd before you have to reboot and start over.

sounds pretty simple, im always hearing people tell me about their computers and they use sata and i just figured maybe its the time in life where i feel i need to expand my knowledge in computers and hardware.

lazerman said:
Only thing for SATA is that you have to install the drivers wen intsalling Windows, which, if you miss the prompt just after it starts unpacking files then you have to wait until it can't find your hdd before you have to reboot and start over.

This is only true for certain motherboards. It depends on the SATA controller. I've worked with some motherboards, where windows sees the SATA at installation. Others, you need to press F6 when prompted and install the SATA drivers during installation.

SATA is better then IDE in my opinion. Not for performance reasons, but for ease of installation. The cables are very small and thin, increasing airflow inside the case. They look nicer then a 40 pin ribbon cable. There's no jumpers to mess with. The SATA's are hot swappable. They allow for RAID ARRAYS, with an onboard controller. I only use SATA in all my builds. IDE is out... Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom