How did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxfirexx

Baseband Member
Well I finally ordered my parts and than cancelled it yesterday and reordered to a completely diffrent build :p. Did I do the right thing?

My conundrum with $1000 Canadian Dollars:

i7 920, gigabyte x58 ud3r, 3 gb ddr3, 640 gb wd, antec 300, bfg 550w, xfx 4850 and using my old 17" flat screen crt

I relized since my budget was tight I probably wouldn't have the money to get a 22" lcd any time soon. So I decided to downgrade a bit and change it to

q6600, asus p5q pro, 4 gb ddr2, 320 gb wd, antec 300, bfg 550w, xfx 4850 + 22" samsung

With pricematches at ncix.com it came out to be a couple dollars cheaper. I didnt get a after market cooler which Ill do soon. The computer will be primarily for gaming so was it worth the switch?

IMO, you've done the right thing. That 4850 would be wasted on a 1280x1024 res, and the second build will handle anything you throw at it games-wise without a problem.

The only thing you lose is a bit of future-proofness, but if it was me I'd have done the same...

Not bad, hopefully you dont get a bunk q6600. The more recent chips dont seem to overclock very well.

Ditto, either that or a phenom II build would have been it for me, I just can't see a quality i7 rig for $1000CAN including monitor. I'd rather have a 775 rig of quality components than lower quality i7.

If I'd known you were going to go with the p5Q pro I would have offered to sell you mine...ended up with a surprise second 260 and can't SLI with the p5q so am going to dump it for a SLI board.

ahh ok thats good :)

And the p5q came with free shipping on the entire order so I saved $50 right off the bat :)

That setup should treat you well for a couple years and you can always upgrade your processer and graphics later for cheap!!

Quick question. How much overclock can I do with the q6600 on stock cooling on average. I live in Toronto if that relevant?

OCing a q6600 on stock cooling is a sin! Not sure what your cap would be...is it GO or B3 stepping? Too many factors to give you a real solid estimate...only one way to find out. let the occing begin!

OCing a q6600 on stock cooling is a sin! Not sure what your cap would be...is it GO or B3 stepping? Too many factors to give you a real solid estimate...only one way to find out. let the occing begin!

I dont know what Toronto is like through the summer, but it cant be any worse than Sydney here. I had my Q6600 working on stock cooling for a while at 3.3GHz. And that was an old B3 chip which overclocked similarly to the ones coming out now. The temps werent actaully that bad considering it was stock. I would say if you want to go over 3GHz though you should invest in an aftermarket cooler. The new Q6600s arent supposed to get much past 3.2Ghz though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom