How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,105
Default How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Hi all,

I recently purchase what I thought was a very nice OCZ ZX-850 Gold PSU.

The reviews are great on the PSU with the exception of this:

"Lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage."

My understanding is the MOV filters out voltage spikes.

Ok, without a MOV, how dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage?

Or, in other words, am I placing my system at great risk by using a PSU lacking the MOV?

What would cause voltage spikes, and does it happen often in the USA?

My guess would be something like lightening.

Ok, hope I haven't confused anyone!

Soar
__________________

__________________
Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Not sure where youj are getting your reviews, but my findings show its a decent psu.
__________________

__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,312
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchase what I thought was a very nice OCZ ZX-850 Gold PSU.

The reviews are great on the PSU with the exception of this:

"Lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage."

My understanding is the MOV filters out voltage spikes.

Ok, without a MOV, how dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage?

Or, in other words, am I placing my system at great risk by using a PSU lacking the MOV?

What would cause voltage spikes, and does it happen often in the USA?

My guess would be something like lightening.

Ok, hope I haven't confused anyone!

Soar
Your MOV should be a surge protector anyways. A little cap inside the PSU isn't going to protect your system from a surge, lightning or not.
The most worries you should have on a PSU is voltage ripple in the power it converts and sends to your parts. The more ripple under load, the more of a chance you'll have at crashing or frying parts.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Your MOV should be a surge protector anyways. A little cap inside the PSU isn't going to protect your system from a surge, lightning or not.
The most worries you should have on a PSU is voltage ripple in the power it converts and sends to your parts. The more ripple under load, the more of a chance you'll have at crashing or frying parts.
Ok, so are you saying I should always be plugged into a surge protector, then into the wall, and then I am safe? [I hope you are saying this because I do have everything plugged into very expensive surge protectors].

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Not sure where youj are getting your reviews, but my findings show its a decent psu.
Paton,

Here is where I discovered the problems with the missing MOV:

OCZ ZX Series 850 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

[Page 3]

OCZ ZX Series 850 W Review | techPowerUp

[Page 4]

Here's their quote and it is worded fairly strong: "Unfortunately the manufacturer [OCZ] omitted the essential MOV, something unacceptable for a high-end category PSU."

Gosh, this sounds very serious.

Is it?

Soar
__________________
Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,312
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

No, it isn't. Like I was saying, it isn't going to make the difference at all. What they are saying is simply this, for a "high end" PSU they expect something like this in it, but it wont make a difference if your house got struck by lightning.

To answer your question, I'm not saying you should or that it should be mandatory. Just having a surge protector under your desk makes your chances from slim to none to about 50/50. Least that is what my dad used to say and he had electronic engineering degrees, professional audio degrees, and was a certified electrician among other things. I kind of took his word for it lol. I'm not saying that is exact but it's more realistic.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Yha as pp said, its not always on psu's, but a high end one should have the feature.

Like getting a tape deck instead of a cd player in a car.

Honestly, a quality surge bar would probably be better than an added in feature.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Honestly, a quality surge bar would probably be better than an added in feature.
maybe i shouldn't, but i would trust the surge protection of a power strip more than the onboard.
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No, it isn't. Like I was saying, it isn't going to make the difference at all. What they are saying is simply this, for a "high end" PSU they expect something like this in it, but it wont make a difference if your house got struck by lightning.

To answer your question, I'm not saying you should or that it should be mandatory. Just having a surge protector under your desk makes your chances from slim to none to about 50/50. Least that is what my dad used to say and he had electronic engineering degrees, professional audio degrees, and was a certified electrician among other things. I kind of took his word for it lol. I'm not saying that is exact but it's more realistic.
Ok, so are you saying that a quality surge protector will cause the risk of damage from voltage fluctuations to drop to nearly zero? That would be way cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Yha as pp said, its not always on psu's, but a high end one should have the feature.

Like getting a tape deck instead of a cd player in a car.

Honestly, a quality surge bar would probably be better than an added in feature.
Ok, I have a quality surge protector and I will continue to use it on all expensive components!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
maybe i shouldn't, but i would trust the surge protection of a power strip more than the onboard.
Ok, thanks guys for helping me figure this one out!

I feel much better now and have a total peace after you helped me understand these principles.

Soar
__________________
Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
maybe i shouldn't, but i would trust the surge protection of a power strip more than the onboard.
yha thasts what i'm saying too.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,312
Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
Ok, so are you saying that a quality surge protector will cause the risk of damage from voltage fluctuations to drop to nearly zero? That would be way cool!



Ok, I have a quality surge protector and I will continue to use it on all expensive components!



Ok, thanks guys for helping me figure this one out!

I feel much better now and have a total peace after you helped me understand these principles.

Soar
Eh, no not at all.

I'm saying if your house gets struck by lightning using a surge protector takes your chances from pure luck to about 50/50 that all your junk might be fried. As in, there is a 50/50 chance that it wont trip or wont be enough to kill the travel of electricity.
Keep in mind, surge protectors don't do anything against power browns. The quality of PSU determines how many browns it can handle while still feeding your electronics smooth power.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(New build) Heavy CFD and Transient simulation FractalGlitch New Systems | Building and Buying 4 02-12-2011 12:08 PM
MOV to WMV - Freeware converting between MOV and WMV video Osiris Tips, Tricks & Tutorials 0 03-14-2010 10:13 PM
Windows without Media Player lacks interest Osiris Microsoft Windows and Software 0 06-22-2005 05:35 PM
What WMP lacks nitrokartel Microsoft Windows and Software 2 03-01-2005 03:31 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.