How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground

Default How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Hi all,

I recently purchase what I thought was a very nice OCZ ZX-850 Gold PSU.

The reviews are great on the PSU with the exception of this:

"Lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage."

My understanding is the MOV filters out voltage spikes.

Ok, without a MOV, how dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage?

Or, in other words, am I placing my system at great risk by using a PSU lacking the MOV?

What would cause voltage spikes, and does it happen often in the USA?

My guess would be something like lightening.

Ok, hope I haven't confused anyone!

Soar

Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
soarwitheagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Not sure where youj are getting your reviews, but my findings show its a decent psu.

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: How dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchase what I thought was a very nice OCZ ZX-850 Gold PSU.

The reviews are great on the PSU with the exception of this:

"Lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage."

My understanding is the MOV filters out voltage spikes.

Ok, without a MOV, how dangerous is a PSU that lacks an MOV in the transient filtering stage?

Or, in other words, am I placing my system at great risk by using a PSU lacking the MOV?

What would cause voltage spikes, and does it happen often in the USA?

My guess would be something like lightening.

Ok, hope I haven't confused anyone!

Soar
Your MOV should be a surge protector anyways. A little cap inside the PSU isn't going to protect your system from a surge, lightning or not.
The most worries you should have on a PSU is voltage ripple in the power it converts and sends to your parts. The more ripple under load, the more of a chance you'll have at crashing or frying parts.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Your MOV should be a surge protector anyways. A little cap inside the PSU isn't going to protect your system from a surge, lightning or not.
The most worries you should have on a PSU is voltage ripple in the power it converts and sends to your parts. The more ripple under load, the more of a chance you'll have at crashing or frying parts.
Ok, so are you saying I should always be plugged into a surge protector, then into the wall, and then I am safe? [I hope you are saying this because I do have everything plugged into very expensive surge protectors].

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Not sure where youj are getting your reviews, but my findings show its a decent psu.
Paton,

Here is where I discovered the problems with the missing MOV:

OCZ ZX Series 850 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

[Page 3]

OCZ ZX Series 850 W Review | techPowerUp

[Page 4]

Here's their quote and it is worded fairly strong: "Unfortunately the manufacturer [OCZ] omitted the essential MOV, something unacceptable for a high-end category PSU."

Gosh, this sounds very serious.

Is it?

Soar
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

No, it isn't. Like I was saying, it isn't going to make the difference at all. What they are saying is simply this, for a "high end" PSU they expect something like this in it, but it wont make a difference if your house got struck by lightning.

To answer your question, I'm not saying you should or that it should be mandatory. Just having a surge protector under your desk makes your chances from slim to none to about 50/50. Least that is what my dad used to say and he had electronic engineering degrees, professional audio degrees, and was a certified electrician among other things. I kind of took his word for it lol. I'm not saying that is exact but it's more realistic.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yha as pp said, its not always on psu's, but a high end one should have the feature.

Like getting a tape deck instead of a cd player in a car.

Honestly, a quality surge bar would probably be better than an added in feature.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
ninja troll

Quote:
Honestly, a quality surge bar would probably be better than an added in feature.
maybe i shouldn't, but i would trust the surge protection of a power strip more than the onboard.
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No, it isn't. Like I was saying, it isn't going to make the difference at all. What they are saying is simply this, for a "high end" PSU they expect something like this in it, but it wont make a difference if your house got struck by lightning.

To answer your question, I'm not saying you should or that it should be mandatory. Just having a surge protector under your desk makes your chances from slim to none to about 50/50. Least that is what my dad used to say and he had electronic engineering degrees, professional audio degrees, and was a certified electrician among other things. I kind of took his word for it lol. I'm not saying that is exact but it's more realistic.
Ok, so are you saying that a quality surge protector will cause the risk of damage from voltage fluctuations to drop to nearly zero? That would be way cool!

Quote:
Yha as pp said, its not always on psu's, but a high end one should have the feature.

Like getting a tape deck instead of a cd player in a car.

Ok, I have a quality surge protector and I will continue to use it on all expensive components!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
maybe i shouldn't, but i would trust the surge protection of a power strip more than the onboard.
Ok, thanks guys for helping me figure this one out!

I feel much better now and have a total peace after you helped me understand these principles.

Soar
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
yha thasts what i'm saying too.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
Ok, so are you saying that a quality surge protector will cause the risk of damage from voltage fluctuations to drop to nearly zero? That would be way cool!

Ok, I have a quality surge protector and I will continue to use it on all expensive components!

Ok, thanks guys for helping me figure this one out!

I feel much better now and have a total peace after you helped me understand these principles.

Soar
Eh, no not at all.

I'm saying if your house gets struck by lightning using a surge protector takes your chances from pure luck to about 50/50 that all your junk might be fried. As in, there is a 50/50 chance that it wont trip or wont be enough to kill the travel of electricity.
Keep in mind, surge protectors don't do anything against power browns. The quality of PSU determines how many browns it can handle while still feeding your electronics smooth power.

Access to my Plex PM me.