How to add storage space to PC? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How to add storage space to PC?

I am considering adding storage space to my Dell Optiplex 755. I don't know much about this except I assume it involves either plugging something into the motherboard or using a desktop unit that plugs in through a USB port. I am going to be doing some video editing and I need space for all my footage. This is a separate concern from data backup, for which I plan to acquire two external hard drives (which I asked about in another thread).

What is the best way to go about this? I am already worried about external hard drives' rate of failure. Is it any better for internal hard drives/internal SSDs/desktop additions? Obviously this includes the added consideration that I will be working off the unit every day for about 8 hours, so it has to be hearty enough to deal with that.

Thank you for any advice!

Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: How to add storage space to PC?

Is you Optiplex a tower, desktop, or SFF? A tower you should be able to add a drive, anything else would depend. Does your computer have the space for another storage drive?

Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: How to add storage space to PC?

I have external hard drives that are over 10 years old and still work perfectly. I've also had them fail within weeks or a few months or purchase (the last one that died was a Seagate GoFlex 2TB that lasted all of 67 days). The new high-capacity hard drives all seem very reliable so far. Western Digital/HGST leads in Enterprise internal drive quality. I do A/V production and always make redundant backups of essential files. You'll find that external drives are far cheaper than internals but surprisingly many externals contain the same drive also sold as a more expensive internal drive (WD has used their pricey Enterprise drives in their 8TB My Book series).

Tags
hard drive, internal hard drive, ssd