How to add storage space to PC?

FrogintheGlen

Beta member
I am considering adding storage space to my Dell Optiplex 755. I don't know much about this except I assume it involves either plugging something into the motherboard or using a desktop unit that plugs in through a USB port. I am going to be doing some video editing and I need space for all my footage. This is a separate concern from data backup, for which I plan to acquire two external hard drives (which I asked about in another thread).

What is the best way to go about this? I am already worried about external hard drives' rate of failure. Is it any better for internal hard drives/internal SSDs/desktop additions? Obviously this includes the added consideration that I will be working off the unit every day for about 8 hours, so it has to be hearty enough to deal with that.

Thank you for any advice!

Is you Optiplex a tower, desktop, or SFF? A tower you should be able to add a drive, anything else would depend. Does your computer have the space for another storage drive?

I have external hard drives that are over 10 years old and still work perfectly. I've also had them fail within weeks or a few months or purchase (the last one that died was a Seagate GoFlex 2TB that lasted all of 67 days). The new high-capacity hard drives all seem very reliable so far. Western Digital/HGST leads in Enterprise internal drive quality. I do A/V production and always make redundant backups of essential files. You'll find that external drives are far cheaper than internals but surprisingly many externals contain the same drive also sold as a more expensive internal drive (WD has used their pricey Enterprise drives in their 8TB My Book series).

Back
Top Bottom