Home Theatre PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
Ok decisions decisions.

Should i wait out the penryn and move my q6600 to my HTPC or just buy a 2180. Thinking the q6600 is probably overkill for a home theatre, but it would give me an excuse to buy a 9450 :)

Next, i have SLI gt's and finding its really overkill for the games i play, so im probably goint to sell one card. Also my GTS 320 has 7 days left on the step up and is going to get traded in for a GT 512. Should i just hang on to the GT for the htpc or is that overkill. Thinking of selling the stepped up 8800 and just getting an 8600GT since it does HD encoding.

Third. I currently run corsair xms2 5-5-5-12 sticks that run fine at 4-4-4-12, and OCZ plats that are 4-4-4-15 that run fine at 4-4-4-12. One set of these is going to go to the home theatre pc and i'll be buying a 2nd 2gig matched pair so i have 4gb of all the same memory. Which should i get.
ClubIT Product - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 ATI CrossFire Certified Dual Channel Kit Retail OCZ2P800R22GK
ClubIT Product - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12 Dual Channel Kit Retail TWIN2X2048-6400

Lastly. The motherboard. I still have my ds3r and i'm trying to decide if i should just keep it and use it for the home theatre pc or go through the hassle of selling it and buying a cheaper ds3l.

Also, before suggesting the magicstix, im entirely too lazy to be bothered with selling off one set of sticks and ordering 2 sets of ballistix and dealing with 2 different sets of rebates.

with an HTPC... you want something that doesn't dispense a lot of heat... so i really don't recommend a q6600.. another thing u need is a giant HD (like 750gb.. is recommended) a low-end 8 series card (8600gt, 8600gts, 8500gt, 8400gs) is recommended because of the Pure Video2 engine.

get a MicroATX board.. because no other type of board fits in an HTPC case..

NAh i dont plan on bothering with a tiny case. Its going in my old ultra grid case. ITs nice and shiny and fits perfectly on top of my subwoofer, so heat and space wont be an issue.

And as far as HDDs go i plan on picking up a few TB drives once they go back on sale somewhere.

with an HTPC... you want something that doesn't dispense a lot of heat... so i really don't recommend a q6600.. another thing u need is a giant HD (like 750gb.. is recommended) a low-end 8 series card (8600gt, 8600gts, 8500gt, 8400gs) is recommended because of the Pure Video2 engine.

get a MicroATX board.. because no other type of board fits in an HTPC case..

and the 8series card?

Ya the 8800GT has all the same stuff that the 8600 does. I figure i'll probably just sell the 8800gt and get an 8600gt since it'll save me about 200 bucks.

If you decide to wait on anything coming out in the future, your going to be waiting a long time, cause then you going to "wait" for the next big thing to come out in 6 months, then 4 months after that when Intel comes out with the new stuff, etc, etc, etc.... Go for it already! LOL

Nah im not waiting on anything. If you check the specs in my sig i just rebuilt my gaming box last weekend. Just trying to decide between a few things. Right now i'm leaning towards getting another pair of OCZ plats because i actually got the rebate on my first set and still waiting on my corsairs. Also think im just gonna get the e2180 and an 8600gt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom